Clarkson/March T&C Grinders

I have just acquired a March Mk 2 T&C grinder. Nice machine but with some frustrating design features.

I would like to fit a lock to give positive location to the rotation of the table. Should be fairly straightforward to drill and fit a plunger, but before I cut metal, has anyone had a go at doing the same thing? If so, any comments or suggestions would be welcome.

Also, does anyone know of a source for a small universal vice similar to the one they used to do as an optional extra? The usual universal vices I can find in catalogues have a different configuration (with two vertical axes and one horizontal, as opposed to one vertical axis and two horizontal) which makes it much more difficult to get tools presented to the wheel with side rake.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

Take a look at the universal vice offered by Chronos. Tthe code in the cat is SIUPV0050 for the 2".

Unless I misunderstood the two horizontal and one vertical plane adjustments, this looks like it will do, or its complete the opposite.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Thanks Trevor, but I'm afraid it is indeed the exact opposite of what is required. It has (as do others I have seen) two vertical axes - i.e. rotation in a horizontal plane. Quite redundant for most purposes. If you set the horizontal axis (i.e. rotation in a vertical plane) to give side rake, the vice is to far from the wheel. Given that it is described as suitable for use on T&C grinders, it is disappointing.

The Clarkson vice has two horizontal axes (rotation in vertical planes) and these are both pivoted at one side of the vice, so you can (with the fact that the whole thing is offset sideways) quite easily get the tool to the wheel.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

I expect that you will have to haunt the advertisers form the likes of Model Engineer, and MEW.

If all runs as per normal in my world, the day after you break down and buy one, they will seem to be falling from the sky all around you. :-)

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones