dampening grease

Hi, US company Nye sells dampening gells, for thick prices. The same kind of stuff you find in old binoculars (to get the expensive feeling on cheaper
models). This is a very sticky, brownish grease. Is there any affordable alternative or substitute? Best regards, Dirk
On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 10:13:46 +0200, PG1D/PA-11Ø12 wrote:

There used to be one called Marfac (this was over 50 years ago) so Shell might sell something similar now.
--
Neil
reverse ra and delete l

Hi Dirk. Try googling for Kilopoise grease. Rocol used to supply this(20 years ago) in tubes for locking the cores of variable inductors. I still have a tube in my workshop. They still make various similar products but may want to sell by the tanker load! If you are in the UK I could let you have a small amount.
Colin in Norfolk UK

Thanks Neil and Colin, Nowadays it could be called Multifak, by Texaco that also happened to produce Marfak according to lots of old leaflet offerings on Ebay ;-) I myself recall farmers smearing it on their plows to keep rust away ;-) Colin thanks for the offer, but there is a pond... I will have a look locally. Best regards, Dirk

Maybe related, Ive been looking for some time for a thick, extra- sticky grease to use in the rattly epicyclic gearbox on my Dore- Westbury mill. I've tried standard greases, but they centrifuge out in a few seconds, and then deposit themselves all over the inside of the belt cover. Yuk. An acquaintance suggested something called "coupling grease", but I can't find a source of the small quantity I need. Any ideas very welcome.
Mike
On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 06:37:47 -0700 (PDT), mikecb1

Try Lucas Red n' Tacky grease.
http://www.lucasoil.co.uk/store_item.php?product 005
Simply the stickiest grease I've ever come across, and you'd be well advised to wear disposable latex gloves when you handle it, as it's a bugger to get off your hands.
It doesn't fling off at all, just seems to stretch out sort of fibrously under load, then snap back into the main mass.
Peter

Thanks Peter. Sounds like the right stuff. Just need to find a retailer (at 6.50 + vat, the postage cost is higher than the product cost!)
Mike
On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 16:09:09 +0100, Peter Neill

On a vaguely related note, I once had a motorbike whose steering became so slow in cold weather that on one particularly chilly night ride it actually went into a gentle weave whenever the speed dropped below about 40-ish mph. When I subsequently took the head bearings apart, they were coated in something that matched your description. It had a distinct smell, IIRC[1]. Perhaps that was what it was.
[1] It simply smelled of grease, but very much so, if you see what I mean.
--
-Pip

Perhaps they've joined the 21st century and updated to mks units, so try hectoPascalsecond if you can't find kilopoise.
My inductor cores got a drop of wax from the soldering iron applied to a wax paper capacitor body: they stayed put.
Regards,
David P.
in uk.rec.models.engineering

LOL. HAM-grease, good idea ;-) Dirk

There is an old recipe for this, which involved dissolving pure rubber in melted Vaseline.
Steve R.
Hi Colin I have just seen your post, and I am desperately seeking some of this rather hard to find stuff! Would you be willing to sell me a little bit of the grease, say, about 10ml? Please let me know - look up ollyk2 on ebay for contact or if you can email me through here, I would be very grateful!
Olly.
url:http://myreader.co.uk/msg/134813234.aspx

You might be pushing your luck after two and a half years :-|
Mark Rand RTFM
Mark Rand wrote:

I always used to use moly loaded or standard Ms4 type silicon based grease for camera lens threads. Maintains it's viscosity over quite a wide temp range as well. Have a look on the Silmid site (Birmingham) for just about every standard and exotic lubricant etc.
The stuff I used was Ms4, or the moly loaded Dow Corning No 33 Medium. The latter is probably quite expensive, but my 2 tubes came from aerojumble at 5.00 ukp each.
Btw, Mark: Have you seen the Hardinge on Ebay ?. Don't have the space, but what a machine :-)...
Regards,
Chris

Yes, It'd be interesting to see how much work it needed and what, if any, tools came with it. But the price is currently very good considering what Myfords go for!
I'm happy with my HLV, now that I've sunk four years into rebuilding it :-)
Mark Rand RTFM
Mark Rand wrote:

At least you know what state it's in now. To be honest, a machine of that class would be wasted here, considering the amount of use it would get. It's better that it should go to someone who will appreciate it and have the type of work that it deserves.
End price was a little over 1000 ukp. Ridiculous if you consider what it cost new, but I guess that's the state of the market now...
Regards,
Chris