DRO

Reading some stuff on the Yahoo Raglan group the following link came up:

Basically it's a homebuild DRO kit/plan - whilst the site is US there's a UK chap selling PCB's and parts
On the basis that I'd like a DRO but can't afford anything that I've seen available (even including second hand parts) this looks like an interesting option for an enterprising amateur. Does anyone have an opinion on this route?

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

Charles, first impressions - it looks pretty well sorted for a hobby type project.

Reply to
Duncan Munro

Hi Charles, It got very good reviews in some of the yahoo groups. The UK based kit version Lester is doing is very good, according to reports.

Reply to
Steve Blackmore

I have ordered one for one of my lathes. Lester is away for a week or two so it won't be immediate. There is a Yahoo group, link from the Shumatech web site, that's followed by users of this DRO and is very good, well worth a look. At the moment the whole setup is as good as the scales, originally done for Chinese scale with an resolution and accuracy of 0.0005" but Scott Shumate has recently upgraded the DRO to take in encoder inputs which means glass scales. So far no one has got tenth of a thou scales working with this but I feel it's only a matter of time.

Nice thing about this is the software if free and upgradeable as he writes new things into it. So far he's got bolt circles, tool offsets and shortly will have a tacho display and edge finder capability.

At the moment the only low end DRO's here are the Ortec and the BW Electronics ones both very basic, lacking the same features and not so professionally turned out.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson