Electric Motors

Gentlemen,

How, if at all possible, can I reverse the direction of a 1 phase 240vac capacitor start motor.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

Hi Martin

You need to reverse the connections of one of the motor windings.

There are 2 windings one for start and one for run. It doesn't matter which you reverse. The connections for the windings are normally accessible at the connection block - you may need to check with a meter to work out which connections are for which winding.

Happy New Year

Russell

camp> Gentlemen,

Reply to
Russell

Then if I have only two wires coming from the windings to the box I have a problem !

Reply to
campingstoveman

Reply to
rack2000

If it is to be permanent just turn the motor round and realign.

Reply to
Neil Ellwood

Its for a H \ V band saw I have recently been given, it has been remotored in the past and the blade is going the wrong way.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

Joking apart if you don't want the vertical provision twist the blade inside out and run it backwards. It will actually cut better this way. For years we have run these things so the cut holds the work onto the fixed jaw, that's if the vise is tightened

But look at all the new CNC stuff the metal merchants have, they all cut away from the fixed jaw.

The answer lies in chip clearance. On the old way the blade angles downwards and if it clogs or stick it tried to dig in making it worse.

With the new way the blade angles upwards and if it clogs it skips up helping the problem. I have reversed mine on the big 18" bandsaw and get about double the blade life.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

On or around Sat, 30 Dec 2006 14:46:34 -0000, "campingstoveman" enlightened us thusly:

I was thinking of the internal fire place the other day, getting sawdust from a local timberyard I see they still have a monster Rolls V8-powered generator unemployed around the back. I used to work there sometimes, and it's never been used to my knowledge, although it was once running. When I was there they were running a smaller air-cooled Deutz (I think) V8. Last time I saw the place "live" they had what looked like a rental genny on a sledge, which wasn't there this latest time.

Dunno if they're open to offers. The Rolls is way too big for me to take on as a project.

Reply to
Lord Austin the Ebullient of H

Pray where would this wood yard be,

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

You can have a 12 cylinder diesel and generator plus some spares for the cost of getting it out of the building if you want.... English Electric 6MW 17 1/4" bore x 21" stroke

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Hi Martin

I'm trying to focus on this for a moment and it's late. If it's a capacitor start motor then there must be more than two wires because the capacitor needs to be connected in series with one winding and the centrifugal switch - so only one end of the windings could be joined together. If you've only found two wires then I think you need to take it further apart.

I think the same applies even if it's a capacitor run type.

Russell

rack2000 wrote:

Reply to
Russell

Reply to
rack2000

Not quite, there's more than one way to skin a cat. If one end of the start winding is commoned to the run winding and taped / varnished / epoxied up "inside" the gubbins, then leave as is, get access to the capacitor connexions and use a 240/240V isolation transformer to reverse the phase for both the capacitor and start winding. If the tranny gets too hot after a few starts, try again with bigger tranny.

Regards,

David P.

Reply to
David Powell

A nice bit of lateral thinking but may end up costing more than another motor from fleabay.

Reply to
briano

Gentlemen,

Thanks for your assistance, for now I will leave as is but I will take it apart and have a play soon.

campingstoveman

On or around Sat, 30 Dec 2006 21:06:23 -0000, "campingstoveman" enlightened us thusly:

south-west-mid Wales. not far from Pumpsaint.