Facing Cutter Supply

I've been hunting for a new one of the cutters in the links below.

It's part of a bicycle bottom brackets facing tool, but it appears to be just a standard facing mill cutter. However I can't seem to find anything like it anywhere.

Inside bore is 16mm (possibly 5/8"), with overall diameter being 44mm. Outside diameter isn't majorly critical.

I could get that one sharpened, but it would be nice to have a spare one. One from the original tool supplier is not really an option, as I'd be cheaper buying a new tool.

thanks moray

Reply to
moray

What does it need to do exactly? Is it used in a mill, or by hand? It looks very similar to some ancient Boneham & turner valve seat insert cutting tools which I have (hand operated).

Incidentally it may be a sign of how desperate are some parts of the UK engineering industry for work, that the other day I, a humble boat repairer, got a flyer through the post from Boneham & Turner trying to sell their services.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

Part of a hand tool -

's the cheapest one I could find, and it's done a good few frames so far (1 titanium, 3 Steel, and at least 5 Alu ones I can think off), so it has more than paid for itself, but I'd rather not have to spend £90 on a new one.

Reply to
moray

Get somebody with a tool and cutter grinder to give it a lick up for you.

Reply to
mark

Have you tried to sharpen it. I've had some good results from using diamond laps to put an edge back on cutters and drills that have lost their edge but don't yet need a full regrind. In fact since I started doing this I've hardly had to grind a drill.

Regards Kevin

Reply to
Kevin