Gearbox cleaner

I need to clean out the feed gearbox on my Harrison M300, as the selector dial is stuck. I am told this is a common problem with the gearbox oil, which throws a hard deposit on the sliding shaft of the feed selector.

What do people use for cleaning out gunged up gearboxes?

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

Jizer works very well to remove oils and greases.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

In article , Mark Rand writes

Thanks Mark.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

Diesel works well. It also lubricates so you may be able to run the system on no load with little risk of damage. That's your decision though :-)

John

Reply to
John

In article , John writes

John,

That's a very interesting thought, especially as I happen to have a couple of litres of diesel in the workshop. But.... what do you mean by "run the system on no load" - do you mean drain oil, fill with diesel, and run on no load for a while to clear the gunge? If so, sounds a lot more attractive than taking down the feed box (which involves partial removal of the leadscrew).

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

That's just what I meant. Run it fast enough (if possible) to throw the diesel around inside but slow enough to give the bearings etc an easy life. In theory, the gears and shafts should throw the diesel just where they throw the oil that's causing your problem. You used to be able to buy flushing oil for cars that did the same thing before detergent oils came along. As I say, it's at your risk though.

John

Reply to
John

In article , John writes