Gearbox cleaner

I need to clean out the feed gearbox on my Harrison M300, as the
selector dial is stuck. I am told this is a common problem with the
gearbox oil, which throws a hard deposit on the sliding shaft of the
feed selector.
What do people use for cleaning out gunged up gearboxes?
David
Reply to
David Littlewood
Jizer works very well to remove oils and greases.
Mark Rand RTFM
Reply to
Mark Rand
In article , Mark Rand writes
Thanks Mark.
David
Reply to
David Littlewood
Diesel works well. It also lubricates so you may be able to run the system on no load with little risk of damage. That's your decision though :-)
John
Reply to
John
In article , John writes
John,
That's a very interesting thought, especially as I happen to have a couple of litres of diesel in the workshop. But.... what do you mean by "run the system on no load" - do you mean drain oil, fill with diesel, and run on no load for a while to clear the gunge? If so, sounds a lot more attractive than taking down the feed box (which involves partial removal of the leadscrew).
David
Reply to
David Littlewood
That's just what I meant. Run it fast enough (if possible) to throw the diesel around inside but slow enough to give the bearings etc an easy life. In theory, the gears and shafts should throw the diesel just where they throw the oil that's causing your problem. You used to be able to buy flushing oil for cars that did the same thing before detergent oils came along. As I say, it's at your risk though.
John
Reply to
John
In article , John writes