Help ! New lathe

I've just installed one of these:

:into the workshop and cannot for the life of me get the spindle turning.

I've spent all day emptying the shop to get it in then trying to get evrything back in the smaller space. I can't make head or tails of the gobbledegook manual and would like to get it turning tonight rather than wait till tommorrow when Axmisters help desk (!) opens.

Does anyone have one, or similar, and could give me a few pointers ?

I can get the power light on, the DRO & pump feed are working fine, I just can't get the spindle rotating.

Reply to
bornforty

I would be inclined to suspect a microswitch on a cover or the chuck guard. My Bantam has a switch on the spindle brake too which stops the machine working. Also a red panic button switch on the front locks in the off position - it twists to release. Good luck with it.

Steve (Sheffield)

Reply to
Steve

Ahhh ! Chuck guard.

Nope, can't see that there even is a microswitch on the guard, I've had the multimeter on the emergency stop & the spindle brake, both seem to be operating normally.

Thanx anyways but I think I need to wait till tommorrow to have a battle of wits with Axminster.

Reply to
bornforty

Other places to try for a micro switch are access door to motor and boxfords have a microswitch to the toe of the backgear lever (don't screw in the retaining screw and it doesn't work). Remember it says suitable for education in the advert probably designed so little fingers can't get to moving parts or switch levers while the spindle's turning.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Williams

Sorted. Turned out to be a primitively activated micro switch on the pulley belt cover. Bugger to get at and invisible to the naked eye, only found it thru wondering what its activator was on the removed cover.

Thanx for the helping tips.

Reply to
Bornforty

Can anyone advise me how to lay my hands on about 12 inches of 5/16in diameter bright steel or stainless rod? I live near Edinburgh so a steer to a likely source would be very helpful.

Alistair Wright Melrose

Reply to
Alistair Wright

Tom

Metal Supermarkets in Livingston should be able to help.

Reply to
Sandy Morton