Howto deposit ptfe on aluminium ?

Hi,

I have two 2" discs of 1/2" aluminium which need to slide (roundwise) against each other in a high vibration environment. I also need them to be electrically insulated from each other and I thought the ideal thing to accomplish both these goals would be to coat the touching faces with ptfe. Does anyone know a method of achieving this ?

If ptfe coating is not sensibly possible at home (which is my assumption) then does anyone know another coating that will minimise friction and give electrical insulation (a hundred volts worth will be fine) ?

Thanks,

Reply to
Boo

Get them hard anodised with a PTFE seal applied immediately after anodising.

This is some HE30 I had just had coated this way for a sliding fixture. The HE30 is the dark grey coloured 'block' part on top. The plate underneath was supposed to be HE30 but turned out to be HE15 and gave a pretty rank finish after anodising.

Have a look at this site for advice on selecting the right alloys and the coating processes available.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

I should qualify the above by saying I don't think it will insulate them, I was tinking more of the sliding friction and wear.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

(roundwise) against

accomplish both these

assumption) then

Boo

I seem to remember that I have some thin ptfe sheeting tucked away somewhere (if it wasn't slung out in preparation for not moving!) If it would do, you are welcome to enough for your disks.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

It is possible to coat with PTFE, but it will not be cheap to do. There are several firms who will do it - I don't recommend it as a home workshop /(shed, cringe) activity however.

Might be a silly idea, but how about the thin ptfe film used in cooking? It won't stick well to one surface - but then, does it have to?

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Try your local window MANUFACTURER (not seller) they use PTFE with an adhesive backing for various types of joining UPVC sections

Reply to
sherwood

I have a limited supply of self adhesive glass fibre reinforced ptfe tape,

Reply to
Mark G