Internal slotting on a shaper

I'm about to slot the inside of some gears on the shaper. Some books (notably Ian Bradley) suggest that the clapper box should be clamped shut and the cut made on the return stroke. Others suggest producing the cut on the outbound stroke.

Which method do you use? Bear in mind it's an Alba 1A (ie quite solid but not very big really!)

Thanks

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

I don't use either, but I'd have thought that both methods have advantages, depending on how you set it up and how the tool clears on the non-cutting stroke.

Cutting on the out-stroke tends to be the way the machine is made to work and any looseness in the machinery is taken up, while on the return stroke you make end up with a lot of noise etc.

Just my thoughts...

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Hi Peter For what its worth I suggest the return stroke cut with clapper box locked is the best approach/option as the slotting tool will not be inclined to dig in, but instead spring away from the work. I suspect this may have been the thinking behind Ian Bradley's advice. Regards John Bates Sydney, Australia

advantages,

Reply to
John & Pat

Charles. I'd try both methods on a similar piece of material, then choose. It's not always a given method that works every time. Your choice of material may play a deciding part in which method gives the best results over any ones advise.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson