Inverter Failure

As those with long memories might recall I run my 3HP CVA lathe via a 240-415 transformer and a 415volt 3 phase ACS 300 inverter. The
transformer steps up the voltage and the inverter (a 7.5KW model) takes the single phase 415volt input and pumps out 3 phase 415volt. It's mild abuse of the inverter but I reckoned that a 2.2KW load on a 7.5KW inverter was a fair safety margin. The reason for this complex set up was to manage the current draw on start up via the inverter and not trip the circuit breaker.
After some light work this afternoon I've now got a fault on the inverter. The message says "Unit Fault 12" which according to the manual is "Failure in reading analogue/digital input - consult dealer". I've no idea what the error description means. Should I get it fixed or bin it? If I do go for a repair where should I go?
Help and suggestions please.
Charles

Sounds like one of the inputs, a speed pot, or a direction switch is broken, or the associated wiring perhaps. Just a guess, and possibly someone who knows will be along shortly
Dave
On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 09:53:20 -0700 (PDT), Charles

That sounds like a problem with one of the low voltage control inputs. The start/stop forward/reverse switches or speed twiddle pot. Just out of paranoia, check the wiring, connections, switches and pot for any obvious loose connections or problems.
If that's all ok, can you re-program it to use different inputs for the various functions (some can, some can't)
Don't know where to suggest for repairs, other than ask the manufacturer or vendor if they still exist. You may need to be sitting down..
Mark Rand RTFM

Sadly nothing that simple. It's not the control wiring
Charles

Charles, one last try, there is usually a parameter in there that sets everything back to manufacturers settings, no idea what it's called but it should stand out.
Try that I have managed to get a couple working again after someone had been playing and pressing buttons, not the same as your problem but worth a try.
If not then a repair is equal or possibly more than the cost of another unit.
John S.

The bad news is that I've tried that one already.
The good news is that with the free ilder motor from Mark Rand last summer my converter (was static, now rotary) will start the lathe in all but the top two speeds (1600 and 2200 rpm - they're rarely used anyway.) It'll do until I feel rich enough for a single to 3 phase converter of a suitable type.
So I'll rewire the lathe to run from the converter. The PITA is that I'll have to wire contactors to run the forward/reverse control from the apron rather than ever-so-easy low voltage control wiring to the inverter.
Charles

My top speed is only 1600 anyway, earlier 2A model, but I think I've only used it a couple of times anyway in anger.
John S.

the
the
I get

inputs. The

out of

any obvious

for the

manufacturer or

sets
The bad news is that I've tried that one already.
The good news is that with the free ilder motor from Mark Rand last summer my converter (was static, now rotary) will start the lathe in all but the top two speeds (1600 and 2200 rpm - they're rarely used anyway.) It'll do until I feel rich enough for a single to 3 phase converter of a suitable type.
So I'll rewire the lathe to run from the converter. The PITA is that I'll have to wire contactors to run the forward/reverse control from the apron rather than ever-so-easy low voltage control wiring to the inverter.
Charles
Charles,
I hace a now redundant big Transwave rotary converter that I keep forgetting to put on Ebay. 15 HP I think but it may be 15KW - certainly power all of your machines quite happily. I got it to run my furnace cooling water chiller (the induction furnace ran off the 100kva generator) and I only used it for about 6 hours before I moved here.
AWEM
On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 14:08:44 -0000, "Andrew Mawson"

What are you using for a chiller now? a fountain in a lake? <G>
Mark Rand RTFM

Knowing Andrew, the English channel........................
John S.

run my

moved
No the Channel is 6 miles away so would need too large a pump <G> The chiller and induction furnace will run off genuine 3 phase from glowing overhead lines - the advantage of hosting an EDF 11kv transformer on the farm <G>
The honest truth is the furnce is still not re-comissioned - it's on the list !
AWEM
On Mar 21, 2:08pm, "Andrew Mawson"

Andrew
The problem is the rating of the trip on the circuit in the house. The current draw on start up is too large unless managed via the ramp settings on the inverter. Whilst your proper rotary converter would be nicer than my static 3 KW Transwave (plus 2.2kw idler) I'd still have trouble.
The ideal solution would be 3 phase from the pole in the garden but that would be pricier than a new inverter!
Charles
On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 09:53:20 -0700 (PDT), Charles

http://www.inverter.co.uk/ in Lancashire indicate that they can repair, might be worth giving them a call to sus out a possible cost.
Before doing that it may be worth opening the unit up just to check for obvious component damage, dry joints, swarf etc.
I recently "fixed" a friends Anilam CNC system, would not communicate with PC for uploads. Pulled the Uart and found a pin folded under. Straightened and refitted now ok. That Uart had been working perfectly for over 12 months before something caused that very dodgy connection to open up. If any chips are socketed on your inverter it is worth pulling and reseating and retrying the unit. I recently got a "Cube" Thyristor DC drive working after being on the shelf probably 15 years. Tried it and it did not work, opened it up and found a nasty dry joint on the board. Now working perfectly.
The best of luck
Richard