Magnifiers on spectacles

Anyone using these or anything similar for fine work? Any advice or comments welcomed. Much more expensive than the "visor" type, of course.
http://www.theloupestore.co.uk/product_info.php/info/p58_dental-loupes-3-0x-350mm---clip-ons.html
tia

Bloody hell for that price you could get a guide dog and a white stick..........
John s.
newshound wrote:

http://www.theloupestore.co.uk/product_info.php/info/p58_dental-loupes-3-0x-350mm---clip-ons.html

"Much more expensive"? Crikey! Always wanted a pair of those, but..!
I have a single clip-on lens, cost 3.99 at Harrogate iirc, and works well enough for me. YMMV.
-- Peter F

Have a look at the Daylight Company magnifiers which are clip ons that flip up, supplied with a choice of lenses. And a hell of a lot cheaper!
http://uk.daylightcompany.com/home/product/?id=40
John H

I suppose if you are doing close up work for an extensive period, something like this is worth it, but I found a wee while ago that all I had to do was to put one pair of glasses on top of another. I just buy 'readers' from Costco and have accumulated different strengths - if I put a pair of 3's over 2's I can work at 8" quite happily. And it doesn't cost me any more than the 10 for 3 pairs from Costco.
Rob
In article

I have often done the same. On the (fortunately rare) occasions when sore eyes make me remove my contact lenses and wear specs for distance viewing, a pair of reading glasses over the top makes a quite serviceable bifocal set-up. Cheap as chips, also has the advantage you can vary the strength of the reading glasses to suit needs, as Rob suggests.
David
--
David Littlewood

In article <0b1c1e16-d4e3-49ba-bcb6-

I found a similar solution was to heavy for my glasses. The solution I've found is a "head loupe" (google) that will take paired lenses of 3 magnifications, giving a good 3-D view. I can use them with my reading glasses on underneath and so look down below their lenses to read the instructions :-)
It's hard reading something a character at a time...
--
John W
To mail me replace the obvious with co.uk twice

Good link, thanks. I thought there must be more suppliers out there

I have some of those, they work well even on my varifocals. I tend to use a big table mounted magnifier with a circular lamp around it more though.

"Dennis finds his dick" shock horror
--
geoff

newshound Wrote: > Anyone using these or anything similar for fine work? Any advice or > comments

http://www.theloupestore.co.uk/product_info.php/info/p58_dental-loupes-3-0x-350mm---clip-ons.html
Hi Newshound or is that Mr. Newshound, anyway to answer your question, they are bloody marvelous and if I could afford some I would buy some, but I can't so I wont. I tried them at a woodworking show, on a chap from Devons stand, a couple of years ago and was greatly impressed, the depth of view and brightness was far in excess of what I expected. The price though was a major turn off, the cheap alternative is MUCH more cost effective, but if you won the pools last week, spoil yourself and you can buy me some for giving you the advice. Ned Ludd
--
ned ludd

http://www.theloupestore.co.uk/product_info.php/info/p58_dental-loupes-3-0x-350mm---clip-ons.html
Ouch! That's about 250 Canadian dollars!!!
Steve R.
On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 20:56:51 +0100, "newshound"

Not those specific ones but similar. I found with most spectacles they were too heavy especially when you were looking down and were constantly slipping forward.
A better and cheaper solution is to go to http://www.optical4less.com / put in your normal prescription but add 3 diopters. You then have a set of prescription magnifying glasses.

The drawback is that you have to get your face much nearer the work to get it in focus than you would with the "binocular" style clip-on magnifiers (which are in effect compact binoculars that allow you to focus close).
Regards, Tony
Tony Jeffree wrote:

Try searching for "surgical telescopes"; the prices are "nasty".
BugBear
On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 14:31:30 +0100, bugbear

So is the price of a nose job after you get too close to the workpiece ;-)
Regards, Tony

Peter, why go to a USA store that doesn't publish its trading address? There are equivalent places over here, e.g. www.glassesdirect.co.uk that manufacture and deliver in the UK.
I still prefer my head loupe solution.
--
John W
To mail me replace the obvious with co.uk twice
On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 15:31:07 +0100, John Weston

It isn't a US Company but a Hong Kong one. In my experience over ten years they have proven to be very reliable and supply goods of good quality.

They are more expensive and my one experience with them was that they were unreliable and supplied goods of poor quality. Their "customer service" wasn't. I see no reason why I should give them a second chance.
Peter Parry wrote:

Does it matter if the prescription corrects for a lot of astigmatism?
AJH

150? Cheap! I almost ordered those (I've been looking for a set of dental loupes cheaper than Heines for ages - GF is a hygienist), but with a working distance of only 13" these aren't really suitable for dental use. Short focal distances encourage backache.
http://www.quicktest.co.uk/acatalog/Head-worn_Magnifiers__binocular_-_surgeon_s_type.html are always worth a look too.
Overall, the visor sort (single lens element, a few inches from your eyes) are about the best compromise. You'll usually have a wider view angle and far less off-axis distortion.
http://www.quicktest.co.uk/acatalog/Hands_free_magnifiers.html
Their Zeiss ones for 60 quid are really nice (jewellery making)
Personally I'd rather get a good illuminated magnifier, and a small add-on workbench that's high above my normal workbench.