Machining nylony rubber or rubbery nylon

I've some rollers of a rubbery or nylon consistency that came out of an old printer and I wished to cut a slot in them.

(Originally used as part of the paper-feed mechanism)

Trouble is, as soon as I apply any cutting force (Knife, saw, drill, milling cutter) they distort out of the way and very little cut results.

I tried using a Dremel-style grinder with some limited effect, but most of what resulted was obnoxious chemical fumes from the heat generated.

Application? Sliced in half lengthways they'd form a pair of fairly cheap dumb buffers for 5" gauge rolling stock.

Reply to
Alun

I have never neede to work on anything similar but have noted that the answer to similar questions on the web is to freeze the material before working it. Some discuss liquid CO2 if your bog standard freezer is inadequate. Use VERY sharp tooling I believe.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Edwards

You will still get the burning smell, but they will cut easilly with a hot wire. Alternatively try a razor blade.

Reply to
Cliff Ray

In article , Richard Edwards writes

Sorry, you can't get liquid CO2, at least at normal atmospheric pressure; it sublimes direct from solid to gas. You will have to use solid CO2 ("dry ice") but you will also need as a heat transfer medium a liquid which does not freeze at the temperature - about -40 IIRC - acetone will do the job OK, but check it does not damage your material.

Alternatively, if you have contacts in a university or hospital lab, liquid nitrogen should do the job very effectively - in fact the rubber will probably shatter if you drop it at that temperature. Either way you will need to work fast before the stuff warms up. Don't touch with bare hands or your flesh will freeze to it and pull off!

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

Try freezing them before cutting.