Metric Tap and Die Sets

I'd like to get a tap and die set going from M3 say to M6 or M8 for *occassional use* cuttting mild steel.
I don't want it just for cleaning and rethreading.
I just want something that is not basically ?rap! But how much can I get something for? Can it be done for say 20?
What are the manufacturers names I perhaps should be looking out for? Dormer too expensive, but say Draper? TIA.

Well if you are talking draper may as well talk aldi. the ALDI ones are quite good ...been using them for 18 months now ...they ain't monkey metal and they do the job well without chewing up wearing or going blunt so far. ..
They stock them about every 6 months ...they are about due now
Think they are about 6 for the whole set .
But if you want the best ...look for split dies .
all the best.markj

Although I've not bought anything labelled Draper for many years, of the half-dozen Draper brand things I have bought have been useless with the modest exception of a wire brush and a tool roll. Useless items included a countersink bit which didn't cut, a ratchet which failed first week, pozi screwdrivers which didn't work - the common factor appeared to be Draper. Apparently they're better these days, but I've not risked it further.
J&L industrial might be a good start as they do stuff on their flyer fairly regularly, which can be (albeit slowly) read on their website. They do cheap, medium and Dormer grade stuff. Might find something there, but I can't comment on the brands as such
Hywel
On or around Thu, 7 Aug 2008 14:49:33 -0700 (PDT), hyweldavies

Stuff called "expert" is OK, but of course has a higher price tag. It's like Kamasa, they do a whole range ogf quality from "utter shite" to "not as good as snap-on", the high end of both ranges is pretty good. Draper also own Elora now and still sell Elora tools which are still OK.

The "Value" J&L is pretty good - I've not had anything that's shite. Branded stuff tends to be better though, such as Dormer or Hertel or Cleveland for drills.
However, for mild steel and occasional use the Value stuff will be fine. There's an issue with price though, J&L are only cheap if you happen to find what you want on special offer.
Picked up a 7"x4" approx magnetic clamp, "Value" brand, the other day, for about half normal in the August flyer. It's quite good - holds 2-3" sort of sized flat work well enough for light milling (making a 10mm slot, in this case) although cutting too hard/fast will make it move.
It also usefully has bars on 2 sides which can be raised or lowered, so you can position your workpiece up against same.

Is the Magnetic Chuck part number AUIMG-00407C the one you mean ?
--
Boo

On or around Fri, 08 Aug 2008 12:23:46 +0100, Boo

sounds like the right number. ah, I see I still have the paper to hand... yes, that's the one. I've no idea how it shapes up CF "good" ones, mind, but at the price it's not bad.
You need the AU bit in the code.
I was milling using a 10mm 2-flute cutter, in BMS, the piece is about 40x70x6mm, with various holes in it.. It's critical that the work piece is flat and clean, mind, or it doesn't grip well enough. It was OK taking cuts up to 0.5mm deep, provided you took it easy - but since I only wanted a 1mm deep slot, that wasn't a problem.
A lot less hassle than setting it up in a normal vice and getting it level.
I daresay it'd be fine for surface grinding.

Yes, that's why I queried whether it as the same one. I'm tempted, but my main application would be aluminium and they don't make one that will work with that :-)
--
Boo

On or around Mon, 11 Aug 2008 00:11:07 +0100, Boo

you'd have to generate eddy currents or something.

tracytools.com 40 for carbon steel metric coarse set taps+dies M2 to M12 inclusive.
Their stuff comes from various manufacturers, but is usually ok. If you want good rather than ok expect to pay twice as much, from them or anyone else..
Mark Rand RTFM
Rich wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PROFESSIONAL-QUALITY-17-PCE-METRIC-TAP-DIE-SET-NEW_W0QQitemZ380052033492QQihZ025QQcategoryZ30917QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I haven't got one, and have never seen one in the flesh, so caveat emptor - but I have bought Hilka stuff before and they seem to be two steps up from the cr*p, and a step above aldi/silverline/amtech.
YMMV
-- Peter Fairbrother

for
I get

for?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PROFESSIONAL-QUALITY-17-PCE-METRIC-TAP-DIE-SET-NEW_W0QQitemZ380052033492QQihZ025QQcategoryZ30917QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
two
I always worry a bit when advertisers have to call their kit 'professional quality' <G>
AWEM
Andrew Mawson wrote:

Yeah - it normally means the exact opposite.
BugBear

The "Linear" range of HSS taps are not bad. I have a set 3-12mm (1st, second and plug and split dies) no problems, cost 40 IIRC. Quite nice as shanks are reduced for the 8mm 10 and 12mm allowing deep tapping.
--
Richard

Email address is valid but remove burrs before sending!