tapping punched holes?

I want to tap 1/4" mild steel material for 3/8-16 threads. I have to do a lot of them, and I'm wondering if I can get away with punching the 5/16" hole rather than drilling it. Of course I can just try it in a piece of scrap, but I'm wondering if there is anything I'm likely to hit, something I wouldn't think of.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Have punched and tapped several thousands of holes in 5mm HRS and cut a M 6 in it. No problem, if the hole fits. :-)

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Reply to
RoyJ

As Nick said,no problem.I`ve just finished tapping 25,000 M6 holes in

5mm plate that were punched.The newer cnc punches have tapping on the machine as an option. Mark.
Reply to
mark

Farriers often hot punch shoes for screw-in calks, especially those forged from concave or half round stock. (Strangely enough, the most common threads for screw-ins is 3/8" 16t.) With very few exceptions, horseshoes forged from bar stock are seldom smaller than 1/4" or larger than 1/2" in thickness.

Cold punch> I want to tap 1/4" mild steel material for 3/8-16 threads. I have to do

Reply to
Tom Stovall