Taps and Dies ?

Guys,
I'm looking to buy a metric tap and die set, from M2 to M12, first and plug taps and dies.
I also want a UNF set, but really only for cleaning threads rather than
making them.
Dormer would be my first choice, but are massively expensive (even with a hefty discount from work).
I looked at this place: http://www.tapdie.com/ and their "British Made" sets. A bit of digging on the website revealed the taps and dies are "Totem" brand, which is in fact Indian, not British. Given that the owner of tapdie.co.uk is a Mr. Nadirshaw, I put 2 + 2 together. I e-mailed Mr.Nadirshaw with the simple question of "what is the country of origin of your taps and dies", but got a load of waffle in return. All I could make out was that they are sourced from a variety of countries, including Britain. To me "British Made" means exactly that, and my question should have had a one sentence reply.
Does anyone have any experiences of this place, or any other recommendations for sets. I'm looking at spending about 150 max on the metric set, and considerably less for the UNF set, maybe up top 50.
Thanks in advance for any help.
--
DR_G
Some years ago I purchased a set of Metric HSS Taps & Dies from Machine Mart Item CHT527 3mm-12mm taper-second & plug. They have proved to be very good! The smaller sizes are a little on the short side so check that the length will do what you want. At 46-98 inc vat almost twice the price I paid about 6 years ago but still not bad value.

DR_G wrote:

Totem have been around a long time and I have used them to make me taps for uncommon threads in the past with no problems. I suspect there are a lot worse products around in markets and aldi/lidl stores.
Do you really need a set? Are there sizes you would only use rarely and maybe cheap carbon steel would do and invest in quality HSS for sizes you would use? You also get tap wrenches and die stocks which you might not need. I agree it is nice to have all sizes there on a just in case basis but that might be a financial luxury.
For your unified needs, maybe sets of CS from Tracy tools would be adequate. I've have such a set for similar requirements to yourself and they have been OK.
Bob
Bob, Salamanda,
I have had a Talco carbon steel metric/unf tap and die set for the past 22 years, and, believe it or not, it has served me very well for both cleaning threads and making threads. Not fantastic, but does the job. I'm assuming therefore, that an HSS (or HQS) set would last me for the rest of my days. The real question is I suppose, how much do you pay, and, at the price points I'm looking at, is there any real difference in quality?
I agree that buying taps as and when may well be the best route, but if I'm doing a job, I tend to want to get on with it without sourcing tools first. I do indeed already have good quality die stocks (Dormer and Presto) and Eclipse tap holders. having said that, a Dormer M10 first & plug tap and die will set me back about 30 I think. So...I could have five common sizes for around 150? Then of course, I bet the first one I'd need would not be one of those five!
Hmmm. Difficult one.
Thanks for the comments.
--
DR_G

[snip]
[snip]
I'd go along with that. I bought a cheap set, then any that wore out or broke got replaced with top quality ones. So far, that has only amounted to a couple of smaller metric and BA threads. I also bought one or two frequently-used metric ones like M6.
For the cheap starter set, I got mine many years ago from Tracy Tools, though many of their cheap sets were then carbon steel, don't know about now. Today I would be looking at something like
http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Cutting-Tools/Tap-Die-Sets
Which at under 40 for HSS is pretty good value.
Carbon steel taps are noticeably inferior to HSS ones, other things being equal, but are OK for occasional use.
Also worth keeping an eye on the monthly special offers at J&L, since they often offer top quality tooling at much below normal catalogue prices.
David
--
David Littlewood

David Littlewood wrote:

Except in small sizes, maybe 5mm or less. Small CS taps break too easily, and then you can't get them out.
Not okay for anything but the bin, in my book.
Small HSS ones can break too, but it's less likely.
-- Peter Fairbrother
On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 14:11:35 +0000, Peter Fairbrother wrote:

They are the ones that you CAN get out - easier than HSS ones, anyway; as long as they are broken in a steel/iron bit.

At the moment, Aldi are selling cheap/cheap sets of metrics which should clean up threads etc

Good to hear from you Norm, hope all OK. Thanks for the pointer, never like using good kit to clean up rusty parts etc.
Best regards
Keith

Keith, Going off at a tangent or 3, hope you are well. Getting old> 80 -you know! I was in Aldi actually getting a funny little vise for a fiver- 2 varieties, if you must. Nice soft jaws etc, etc. Worth a look.
Just had the Myford Super 7B slideways ground with turciting on saddle for 250. County Durham firm- 50 miles . Sent a photo to one of my lot who said 'I doubt if******** could do it as nicely' Hummmm?
Guy does full reconditioning big stuff but put my titchy through in a bit of down time.
Cheers- and for those with Chinese stuff - Kung Hai Fat Chow
Norm
ravensworth2674 Wrote: > On 14 Feb, 20:03, _

Thanks for that, I will have a look.
--
DR_G

last time aldi had them was 21st Jan
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2827_12730.htm
they will be all gone by now
they are OK ..ive used them and continue using them ..they are not chocolate and do the job.
you'll have to wait another 6 months now before they are on sale again .
all the best.markj

Mark,
We had them some left on Sunday in Newcastle/Tyne - hence my comments. I've seen them phone up branches to see what was left for other items.
Fingers crossed? Regards
Norman
ravensworth2674 wrote on 16/02/2010 :

I have saw the identical ones on ebay at similar prices last night, whilst pricing up a decent set.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Oh, but we were 'mending garden gates' and the like
Norman
ravensworth2674 has brought this to us :

Even so. I needed to use one of the Aldi taps yesterday. The holder was like butter and just slipped round, the tap was fatter in the middle of its thread than either end. I was only tapping some fairly soft mild steel - the thread was just about usable.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Harry,
Sale of Goods Act (1893) applies
Cheers
Norman

Harry, A split die is to allow some initial relief in starting and cutting the thread.It isn't quality engineering as the circle is forced 'out of round' at that point. It therefore saves the huge amount of muscle power which would be required to do it all in one go. Try doing a lathe spindle nose of 1.25"x12TPI without screwcutting - at one go.
Taking it a stage further, large pipes and such require segmented dies to ease the-- effort.
OK?
Norman
ravensworth2674 explained :

Yes! Thanks for the explanation.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I cringe a bit when using my Rotostock pipe threader on larger diameters, the one I have will do up to 2" pipe, they go larger IIRC, the dies are not split but one solid ring, the mechanism will handle the torque of cutting the taper threads along their full length in one go. I don't really worry but realised the torque required to do it is quite high but manageable.