Custom taps and dies

Hi everybody,

Does anyone in this NG make custom taps and dies? My cousin ( a millwright) is looking for some odd-ball taps and dies for work. He isn't computer literate, which is why I got tasked with searching online :)

Cheers,

CVC

Reply to
Charles V. Craig

JR North

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney

I made a "W-48" form tap yesterday. Does that qualify as obb-ball?

There are many places that make custom taps. I haven't looked, but will in the future. I don't believe they are too expensive.

Reply to
Gary A. Gorgen

Hmmmnnn . . . you'd think a millwright, or a millwright's relative would have a better description than "oddball". Justgoestoshowya, he thinks we are not only magicians, but mind readers as well.

Bob Swinney

PS: FWIW taps can be made by anyone with a screw cutting lathe and some drill rod. Dies are a little more complicated, but doable. It's a "chicken and egg" thing. First you make the tap and then use the tap to make the die, etc.

Reply to
Robert Swinney

OoPPs, sorry for the triple post. My PC has a screw in it I made the tap for.

Reply to
Robert Swinney

To be honest, I would expect a millwright to know how to make one-off taps and dies as a matter of course.

For taps:- Take tool steel of choice. Starting with square section makes life easier. Turn desired thread on it. Turn a pilot and/or taper. Cut flutes using a mill or shaper (I used a shaper) then harden steel or harden steel then cut flutes with a surface grinder.

For crude dies:- Take tool steel of choice. Drill holes to make flutes. Bore hole for core diameter. Boring a pilot can help with alignment. Tap or single point thread. Turn taper with cross-slide. Harden.

It works.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

The M32 * 1.5 (they don't list 1.25) costs (sit down) 147.- EUR. That are about $180. Oh, there's a cheaper one for 85.- EUR. The die costs 75.- EUR.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

In this part of the world anyway, the term Millwright can mean either:

1) Someone who is not only a fully qualified and trained machinist in the sense of lathe/mill etc operator, but also trained to set up, align, and probably recondition and repair machine tools, or

2) Someone who may never have had formal training or any/much experience as a machine tool operator or any of the theory needed to be a machinist, but who installs, sets up, and adjusts drive trains, belts motors pullys, etc for saw mills and other such industiral equipment.

Same term, but hardly the same skill set.

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey Feldman

Holy crap, I don't think he's gonna like that :)

Thank you, Nick. I'll pass that along.

Cheers,

CVC

Reply to