Source for Model Engineer taps and dies

Sorry, I know this is a bit of an old chestnut, but I'd appreciate som

advice.

I want to buy a comprehensive set of ME taps and dies: 32/40 tpi. I ca only find two sources: Tracey tools and the Tap and Die Co. Now I kno Tracey have a good reputation and I certainly have not ruled them out but when I examined their sets at Harrogate I wasn't that impressed an they were very unclear about the source, except to say they were a mi of good UK suppliers. Most of the dies had 'Apex' written on them an looked OKish, but they weren't finished that well.

I've had a bit of a hunt round and perhaps not surprisingly there seem to be very little alternative. I suppose there is a limited market fo ME stuff and it's not worth it for Dormer or Presto to get tooled u for such a limited market. As far as I can tell from their website th Tap and Die company also supplies Apex ME gear.

So, simple question: is there a choice? Where else can I buy reliabl ME taps and dies that are at least as good as Tracey or hopefull better. (Just to be clear I'm not having a moan about Tracey, but would like to get the best I can find.)

Thanks for reading

Cheers

Mat

-- Myford Mat

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Myford Matt's Profile:

this thread:

Myford Matt

Goliath made boxed sets:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Contact Person Mr. Nic Rowley Address NEWTOWN, ROW ASTON, BIRMINGHAM, ALCESTER B6 4NQ ,WARWICKSHIRE ,UNITED KINGDOM Phone Number 0121-3596621/3596882 Fax 0121-3597092 Website
Year Established 1952 Products Exporting TAPS AND DIES FOR THREADING, FASTENER TAPS FOR NUT MANUFACTURE Products Manufacturing TAPS DIES, FASTENER TAPS ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

They used to have a shop in Luton, but it's closed now.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Matt,

Rotagrip list ME taps and dies, but not a set - I bought some taps from them via eBay and then sent a CD titled "Model Engineers & Threading Catalogue" with a lot of useful tap and die information which seems to have taken up permanent residence in my CD drive. It gives the appearance that they know their acorns - but I haven't had enough trade to back that up. Rotagrip Ltd are in Brum - 0845 1001566

Steve

Reply to
Steve Richardson

Can only say that the Tap & Dies Co. are a pleasure to deal with and seem to stock what you need at reasonable prices.

Chinese etc tools are rapidly improving in quality. Why pay more?

So what's your problem.

Reply to
Tim Christian

A personal view - so no doubt subject to bias and error but I've purchased cheap ME threading gear and regretted it - especially with inaccurate dies. Some Tracey ones were particularly poor. I asked around for who sold the best ones and was directed to Bruce Engineering (now Polly Model Engineering at Long Eaton). Bruce Davey confirmed the dies were of a high quality and I've no reason to doubt it after several years' usage. They are not the cheapest around, but they are good. IMHO it is the ME dies which you have to be careful about.

Reply to
IFC

Many thanks for the advice - much appreciated. I'm going to pay Tap

Die a visit and will report back - cheers, Mat

-- Myford Mat

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Myford Matt's Profile:

this thread:

Myford Matt

I noticed that our local nut & bolt place has a big Goliath display board by the counter, so presumably they can get hold of the ranges that Goliath make.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

Sadly, Goliath have gone the way of Dormer in charging nutty prices fo

non-metric sets, check out:

0-10 BA £857.90 1/4-1 BSF an amazing £1365

Is anyone outside NATO and NASA buying these?

Cheers

Mat

-- Myford Mat

this thread: