Engineering Tourism in Cornwall?

With half-term coming up, a week down in the west country is on the cards with SWMBO and kids. In between the inevitable ice ceams and amusements and historical tourism, are there any ME or other related sites worth a visit that the group could recommend?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Given that you've got to go through Devon, I can thoroughly recommen

the South Devon Railway:

Plus, Dartmouth is very pretty (another steam line) and an importan beam engine - can't remember which one.

Hope this helps, a bit...

Mat

-- Myford Mat

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Myford Matt's Profile:

this thread:

Myford Matt

Levant Mine springs to mind, tho ive not been there yet. apart from not recommending lands end (to tourist trap) theres a china clay museum near the eden project which looked good if industrial 'archeology' is your thing.

Dave

Reply to
dave sanderson

China Clay museum is Wheal Martyn. Also well worth a visit as is King Edward mine and South Crofty. I suggest checking by phone as some may be open when (crap) websites say closed and vice-versa. IIRC Google will turn up a Cornish attractions site.

hth

- Roland Craven Nr. Exeter, Devon, UK snipped-for-privacy@petternut.co.uk

Roland Craven

Peter

Try this National Trust property - if you are there before 28 Oct. I has demonstrations of agricultural implement making using forges an water powered tilt hammers, very impressive what was done with wate power.

It is not far from the A30.

Finch Foundry Sticklepath, Okehampton, Devon EX20 2NW Telephone: 01837 840046

Joh

-- jlh4

----------------------------------------------------------------------- jlh45's Profile:

this thread:

jlh45

Hi Peter

Reference the beam engine Matt mentioned - it is a working (electric drive) Newcomen engine complete and housed inside, so a good little wet weather thing. It is at the northern edge of the park in the centre of Dartmouth.

On the subject of bean engines if you are right down towards the tip of Cornwall there are the Cambourne mine pumping beam engines - Bolton and Watt design - I think they are steamed on occasions.

If you are further north how about the Launceston Steam Railway in the town of the same name - when I was last there they had a collection of mechanical machines in the old mill behind the railway station as well as the narrow gauge steam locomotives.

Just some ideas.

Cheers

Dave

Reply to
Steam Train Dave

'Twas more fun when Ashburton Station and the line to Buckfast was still available :-(

Mark Rand (lived in Ashburton) RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Telegraph cable museum at Porthcurno

Not been myself, but definately on the list when I'm down there

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Peter

If you should pass by me, south of Shaftesbury, the lovely Mrs Edwards does a very nice pot of Twining's English Breakfast tea.....might even rise to a mangle-wurzel sandwich, given notice.......... :}

--

Chris Edwards

Peter, believe me, if at all possible take up Chris on his kind offer but do allow sufficient time as you won't want to leave and continue your journey. So much to see and so much to talk about. Mangle-wurzel superb as is the Twining's and of course the company is delightful.

Hope that is OK Chris - shall I watch the post for the fiver? Talking of the post, thank you very much for this morning's delivery.

Best regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

In article , Steam Train Dave writes

Is this gas powered?

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

Probably double acting...

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Sounds more like a gas producer :-)

Reply to
Sandy Morton

Ok Ok I did not spot that mistake - well "n" and "m" are next to each other on the keyboard so easily done!!!!

two fingered typist Dave

Reply to
Steam Train Dave

In article , Peter Neill writes

This place (over the border in Devon) was pretty good last time I visited:

That was a few years back, when they seemed to have a bit more of a steam orientation than now.

Check the site though, their opening times were a little eccentric!

Cheers

Reply to
Nigel Eaton

Many thanks to everyone who chipped in with the list of possible attractions. We're going to be based down near St Ives/Penzance so possibly a bit further away from some of the Devon ones mentioned, but it's great to have a list to work from at least!

Chris, we're probably passing a bit north of you In Shaftesbury, (though not too far) as we like to go west on the A303. However, on the off-chance that the wife can be persuaded to take a detour could you send me a contact phone number please? The e-mail address is a valid one.

Thanks to all.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill