An American Rocketeer in LONDON

HELP!

I am a US Rocketeer who has landed a long term project working in London England. I will be in England every other weekend or so for the next 6 months (possibly longer). I am currently based in the Canary Wharf (E14) area of London and am looking for some info.

I was hoping to gather your thoughts on:

  1. Where to shop in London (and various other locations including Leeds and Glasgow) for rocketry related things (Quest/Estes through L3 High Power).

  1. Launch/event/meeting calendars and locations.

3.Rocketry related museums and historic sites (scheduling a trip to Duxford..possible next Saturday).

  1. Any other cool things to do ( I know there are a bunch....already done Stonehenge, Avebury, Salsbury, Old Sarrum, Hampton Court, Tea at the Savoy, parts of the Imperial War Museum, Buckinham Palace, Parliament, Westminster Abby)

Any thoughts, comments or words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated.

Mark Palmer

__________________ Fly 'em High, Fly 'em low, fly 'em fast, fly 'em slow...but most of all "Fly 'em"!

Reply to
Mark A Palmer

Only place in Leeds for rockets is "The Model Shop" in Cross Gates (East Leeds). Estes only.

List of clubs and locations here:

Try posting on uk.tech.rocketry for more info.

If you're in Glasgow come the end of August (week prior to the English bank holiday) call in at the International Rocket Week (just down the road in Largs).

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

Lots of toy and model shops sell model stuff upto D motors. For M/HPR you need to seek out the relavent dealers, or better still seek out the launches which they attend ;)

Probably for a London based rocketeer the EARS events will be your best bet - all the main dealers attend;

There is rocket stuff at the RAF Cosford museum near Telford, and also the National Space Centre in Leicester.

Westminster

Pass - I dont like London so rarely visit ;)

Check your TRA / NRA paper work is valid for launching in the UK. I am fairly sure TRA is fine, but you might want to consider UKRA membership anyway -

-- Richard Parkin UKRA 1268 L2 RSO

Reply to
Richard Parkin

Hi Mark,

There are very few bricks and mortar shops in the UK most are run from home and are online stores. That said many will happy to receive visitors by prior appointment. Having spent last Sunday at the London Model Engineering Show on the UKRA stand with Richard Brown of the Rocket Store I know he has a shop. His web site is

otherwise check out the UKRA website at
for vendors.

EARS are possibly not the closest to London but as club sec I will give our club a plug anyway . Launches 1st Sunday (with the odd exception this year) of the month March to December . The EARS website is

It needs an update which I should get round to this weekend. We fly from a site near the town of Papworth Everard just off the A428 to the west of Cambridge. Also in the South are CROCK
, HART
SERFS
Otherwise, again, the UKRA website will point you at other clubs around the country.

Events of Note would be:- BigEARS Launch the first weekend in May 2 days UKRA2006 National event 3 day event 9th to 11th June in Lincolnshire BK Flamer 2 days run by BlackKnights 15th to 16th July 2006

Science Museum in Knightsbridge has to be worth a visit

And the National Space Centre at Leicseter
Nearly Rocket related would be the RAF Museum at Hendon in North London.
the Shuttleworth Collection which is just off the A1 at Biggleswade
Non Rocket related and all in the same place as the Science Museum are The Natural History Museum -
Victoria and Albert Museum -
both well worth spending many hours in.

Cheers Mike 8-{>

-- UKRA #1208 L2 RSO EARS # 1118 TRA UK #3207 L1 (The Original TRA UK that is)

-=*=- Gravity is a harsh Mistress -=*=-

-=*=- The Tick -=*=- Remove .co.uk from Reply To: address.

Reply to
Mike Roberts