Lifting heavy stuff....

evening all, The continuing saga of my mill: Ive figured out where in the garage its going, of course it means moving everything (lathe,shaper,surface table,cupboards,shelves
etcetc) to get it to where its going. To assist in this mass movement Ive managed to borrow an engine crane, but its rated at 1 tonne. This is fine for the shaper, and I think for the lathe too (Harrison L5. some hundred kgs?) but the mill is 1400Kg according to the manual. I know lifting gear is tested to some amount over the swl, but Im not sure how much? Assuming that there isnt a pressure relief valve in the ram set at 1 tonne (plus a little) and on the basis that the mill cant be more than a couple of inches off the floor (the roof wont allow it) is it likely Ill get away with it? its got to move about 15 feet.
If I cant lift it is it worth attaching the hoist anyway, to 'lighten' the load, and give a degree of 'topple proofness'?
thoughts welcomed
cheers
Dave

crane,
manual.
not
the
15
'lighten'
Crow bar, lift one corner, roll a piece of 3/4" gas barrel under, and you'll find you can move it quite easily so long as the floor is hard enough for the bar not to sink in.
AWEM
If it were mine I might risk it, but I'm not sure I'd want to do tha
with someone else's kit.
Depending on floor quality it's amazing how far you can shift ver heavy gear by rolling it on 1" MS rods. You could use the crane to lif its sides to just sneak a couple of rods under and the trundle it acros the floor putting a third rod in as you go...
Mat
-- Myford Mat ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Myford Matt's Profile: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?uf19 View this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?tr885
The safety factor (i.e. ultimate failure load/SWL) on slings, shackles etc is usually above 5! However, from what I understand, the test load on hand operated lifting devices (i.e. your engine crane) is usually only 1.5 x the rated load. So it should be ok to 1.5 tonne. Don't lift it any higher than it needs to clear the ground though.
It should be OK, but I'd prefer the idea of rollers (although it may be a bit top-heavy - it's probably worth lowering the knee etc as low as it will go, and removing any extra kit (like vertical heads) from high up.
As long as there's no stairs involved........
Alastair

I was hoping it would be a factor of 2.(a bit safer overload)..oh well, the engine crane is a good way of shifting the shaper (done it before) which is narrow and short and top heavy, and hence very unstable. I have a plan b, which involves the usual method of pointy end up angle iron as rails, a big crow bar and a couple of strong mates. I find this is better than rollers as there is no chance of losing one into a void in the base, and you know how far you can go before running out. lowering the knee and turning the head over are a given, especially as I cant move it down the garage without turning the head over, the lights are in the way! (Should have bought a smaller mill ;).
Dave
On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 13:58:58 -0700, dave sanderson

Should have bought a taller garage :-)
Mark Rand RTFM

Well unfortunately the garage is attached to the house, so I cant swap it, and now I have so many machines I can move either.....
maybe I should lower the floor, I hear John S can always use some more floor ;)
Dave

especially as

swap
more
Move into garage and use house as workshop - far better division of space <G>
AWEM
On 17 Aug, 22:35, "Andrew Mawson"

SWMBO wont let me (I already asked)
Dave

Well unfortunately the garage is attached to the house, so I cant

some
of
Put SWMBO on eBay, use money raised to fund workshop conversion - end of problem <G>
AWEM
On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 00:37:23 -0700, Alastair

It might hold 1.5x without collapsing in a heap, but will it actually *lift* that weight?
Tim
Hope your garage foundation slab is up to the job! My mate's garag
started to subside when he installed his bridgeport next to hi Chipmaster..
-- Mr Cran ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Mr Crane's Profile: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u 978 View this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?tr885

Yep, me to. I do know the drians dont run under it, so thats a start ;)
Dave
On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 12:30:44 -0700, dave sanderson wrote:

Easy.
Assuming
a) your floor is rerasonably flat, and
b) the mill is pointed in the right direction,
lift one end a couple of inches. Put a roller (bit of iron pipe will do) under that end. Set it down, lift the other end, put more rollers under the mill. Put more rollers in the direction you want it to go, and rig a block&tackle or a come-along to get it there.
Remedying deficiencies in a) and b) are left as an exercise...
wrote: or is rerasonably flat, and

If not you can always set the rollers so they are not parallel to each other. You can then steer the load round a corner. Maybe even through 90 degrees with a bit of fore and aft shunting.

If you set the rollers in a 'T' shape, you can push it any direction.

Easy,
I moved a 500Kg Harrison mill single handed using 3 x 1 metre lengths of 1" Hydraulic pipe. Surprising how easy it is shift once its in balance. We use the same method at work to move 10 tonne transformers, so 1.5 tonne mill should be easy.
Jason
dave sanderson wrote:

'noon all, well the engine crane wasnt anywhere near tall enough to lift the mill, and really didnt look man enough for the job either, so it was out with the tirfor and ground anchors, angle iron rails and jackall.
before:
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u170/ClaireSanderson/DSC_1598.jpg
after:
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u170/ClaireSanderson/davesgarage.jpg
The crane was really useful in moving the other assorted heavy stuff (lathe, shaper etc) around though, saved loads of time there :)
Somehow the mill looks smaller now its tucked into the corner!
Dave