Lifting Small LAthe

My new lathe arrives Friday - its about 145Kg. I've an engine crane for the job, not the best equipment for this, but its 1 Ton SWL, so substantial enough for the job.

Where do I sling it? I had thought of passing the straps through the bed and around a couple of timber blocks to avoid leadscrew handles etc, but given it will be top heavy probably not the best idea.

Slinging behind the chuck will ensure the straps are well clear and the CoG is in a good place (ie below the lift point) but is the headstock/ spindle/bearings then at risk of damage? It's a C6

Regards

Steve

Reply to
Steve

At 145 kg I'd be tempted to get a strong friend or two - much more controllable.

To answer the actual question I'd sling it under the bed and under the headstock - you can always lever the headstock up to get the sling out when it's down on the bench. A helper to steady things is useful, even if they're not lifting anything.

Regards

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

The ideal solution is to get 2 strong friends, then stand back & direct operations ;-)

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Two people can lift one with ease. To lift on a crane is no problem and the strap [ not chain ] need to be threaded thru the back section of the bed close to the chuck as the headstock is back heavy with the motor. Even this won't lift level but it's easily tilted and controlled.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson