Clarke CL500M lathe / mil

Hi

I have recently brought a second hand Clarke CL500M lathe/mill. The mill head has a milling chuck that takes collets and I'd like to be able fit a standard drill chuck in it's place, but I can't remove the milling chuck. I've tried all my biggest hammers to no avail, there seems to be a slot that takes a tapered thingy that should eject the head, I have tried that but I'm not sure my taper is the right size. I've also tried whacking the threaded shaft that runs all the up, but I think I'll break something if I continue with that. So I guess my question is... Is it just held in on taper or is there something else that holds it in place, any advise would be gratefully received.

Thanks Nigel

Reply to
Nigel

All that banging will knock it out of true.

Is there perhaps a draw bar (from the other end) that is screwed up so holding the Morse Taper in tight?

Reply to
Anonymous.

I spoke to the very helpful tec support guys at Clarkes. There was a draw bar holding it in, and after removing that and a bit of thought around what the drift was supposed to be doing, it pop out.... didn't even need by favourite hammer

Thanks for your help

Reply to
Nigel

I'm unfamiliar with your m/c but tapered drift removal is common. Going back many years I recall loosening the draw bar about a turn and a reasonable tap with a copper or lead mallet being the norm on some tapered tooling. Having been 'CNC' since 1987 it's been a while since performing such a task!!

Reply to
Al Anonymous

On or around Thu, 16 Aug 2007 12:09:45 +0100, "Nigel" enlightened us thusly:

drawbar on it's big brother (CL12-summat), certainly. Loosen it about 2 turns and tap the top of the drawbar is my technique, then unscrew it. Helps if you make a chamfer around the head of the drawbar to stop it getting flattened and making the spanner fail to fit.. .

Reply to
Austin Shackles

And don't leave the spanner on 'for next time', i've actually seen someone do that!! "DUCK!!!" ;-)

Reply to
Al Anonymous