Power forBeam Engine

Gentlemen

I'm currently building the ME Beam Engine which will eventually be mounted on a base with an available cavity space of approximately twelve by four by about two and a half inches deep.

I have in mind to use this space to fit a small, preferably 240v electric motor which can be used to power the model for demonstration purposes. The motor I have, which would fit nicely, is a 50watt sewing machine motor but which runs at 6000 rpm, whereas I need something in the order of about 10-20rpm, a reduction of about 400 times. Does anybody know of a small ready-made gearbox which might suit the purpose?

Alternatively, can I reduce the speed electrically, perhaps via a light dimmer switch? If so, what would this do to the power and torque output? (It must already be obvious that my electrical knowledge, like that of many others here, is severely challenged by the need to change a light bulb!)

Are there other small motors which might be better suited to the application?

Any alternative suggestions?

--

Chris Edwards

The motors from micro wave ovens are close to that rpm and have good torque and are small and cheap and have only two wires :)- I use them for fishing rod turning after varnishing in our tackle store. BUT I have come across many (mostly ???) that alternate direction each time you switch the power off and then on again the next time. I dont know if that will be a problem for your application.

Tim South Africa

Reply to
TMN

Chris hi, sorry to sidetrack your question but I am having some PC problems and just need to ensure that you get the message that I can't make Bristol tomorrow. I have sent you a message to explain but am not sure it is working properly. I did get your message but I am having trouble with the send function, I will sort it out later this evening but that would be very short notice so hope you will understand.

Best regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

`Yes, e-mail received. Sorry to hear the news. All completely understood. --

Chris Edwards

Even if you managed to get an appropriate gear box there will still be

rather unbeam-like 6000rpm hum.

I'd go for a low speed DC motor with gear box - plenty on ebay. D motors are nice and easy to control speed-wise. Simply vary the applie voltage

-- Myford Mat

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Myford Matt's Profile:

this thread:

Myford Matt

Thanks for the suggestion, Tim. It's always nice to have a bit of new input and I think you are our first contributor from RSA. Welcome to UKRME. --

Chris Edwards

Seems a pity after all your efforts to make it that you should drive it backwards-wise.

How about extending your model-engineering skills by knocking up a small air-pump driven by your electric motor and use that to drive the beam engine (in place of steam)? After all, there wouldn't be any load on the beam engine to stress a small pump.

Reply to
Anonymous.

Thank you Chris

ME seems to be a dying thing here in RSA - there are quite a few older guys (including UK ex pats) with Myfords etc but unfortunately not many younger guys - I bought my Chinese Myford clone from a deceased ME's son - it was not sold until 2 years after his death as there was no demand !

BTW My wife is visiting her mum in Chelmsford - is she going to be surprised when that package from Chronos arrives :)

Tim South Africa

Reply to
TMN

- so are you when she presents the airline bill for 'excess baggage' Go easy on the biltong...1 --

Chris Edwards

DC motor from car scrapyard. Window winder motors for example. For a permanent magnet motor, speed varies as the voltage. For the sort of thing you're doing, best to confine 240VAC to a "fat plug" transformer rectifier thingy.

Regards,

David P.

Reply to
David Powell

You could always try one of the old fashioned aquarium pumps first,it'l

probably need very little pressure to make it tick over,although yo would need to give the flywheel a spin to start it.

Alla

-- Allan Waterfal

this thread:

Allan Waterfall

Thanks, Matt, and all the others who made an input. I had completely overlooked the question of the noise and take the point completely. At the Bristol show today I spent £15 on a virtually silent little 12v DC motor with lots of torque and a speed of 10 rpm. Perfick!

I'm now off to the RS site to find a 1/4-1/2 watt wire wound pot for speed control.

I'm also intrigued by Mr Anonymous's suggestion to drive the beam from an air pump off the motor. Possibly - thanks for an interesting suggestion. --

Chris Edwards