TOS Drawbar

Evening all, long shot I know, but does anyone know how the drawbar comes out of a TOS FNK25 mill? Ive looked in the manual and cant find it mentioned, and it doesnt just pull out, like I thought it would / should. Much head scratching later Im sure the answer is obvious, but Im stuck :( I need to change it as its to short for my collet chucks, and I suspect its the wrong thread anyway. I assume I can just make one from the long piece of CRS Ive got available?

cheers

Dave

Reply to
dave sanderson

Not used a TOS mill for a number of years, but seem to remember that the drawbar had a thread at both ends and the part that sticks out of the top of the spindle with the hexagon for the spanner, is in effect a deep nut. The drawbar will nut pull up through the spindle because the thread on the cutter end is a larger diameter than the hole through the spindle. Hope this helps, Paul.

Reply to
paul swindell

Well, after a bit more head scratching and buggering about Ive suceeded :) The manual shows 2 'nut' bits on the end of the draw bar, but mine only has 1, turns out that the drawbar does indeed screw into the nut bit, but I guess they changed the design a bit or Ive got a later drawbar. Ill write down my struggle incase it helps some other poor soul at a later date: With a light I was able to see a slot in the middle of the nut bit, which is a tube about 2.5" long. Ok, I thought, just unscrew the nut, using a screwdriver on the slot... Haha, nothing is that simple. after

5 mins of trying, and thinking it didnt ought to be this tight, must be seized (get screwdriver attachment for breaker bar, consider Impact wrench...) I spotted a thin line about 1/4" in from the end of the nut tube. this it turns out is a removable collar, which is designed to stop the roll pin that pins the screwed drawbar into the nut (like steel threadlock) from flying out. Pin removed, nut unscrews quite easily and TA DA drawbar is out :) You are correct that it wount pull through as the bottom thread is to large diameter. Strangely (I thought) the drawbar is M12 on the little end and some UNC thread on the other. I need M16 and M12, I cant find anyone selling drawbars, so Ill make one. My plan Is to make an M16/ M12 sleeve, and use some M12 studding, screwing/pinning the sleeve on one end, and using the existing nut assembly on the other. Can anyone see problems with this?

cheers

Dave

(who might be able to use the mill before xmas 2007)

Reply to
dave sanderson