ML7 alignment problem

I'm in the process of getting my original ML7 ready to sell, since the old man left me his long bed 7b.

Being a conscientious sort, I'm giving it a clean up and overhaul before passing it on to anyone else.

The problem I've got is that I've known for a long time that the half nuts are low compared with the leadscrew. I measured the discrepancy tonight and it's

80 thou. Ok the bed has been reground, but surely not by that much. The ways measure .495" thick now, I can't remember what they were before Myfords reground the bed. I can't take much off the top of the apron or the rack and pinion will interfere. The only options I can see at the moment are:-

1) Mill the holes on the leadscrew bearing mounts into slots. (ugly)

2) Make a new closing cam with offset slots (will only give me 60 thou)

3) Make new, offset head, studs to connect the half nuts to the cam.

Has anyone else attacked this problem and if so, what was their solution?

There is some lateral offset as well, from the re-milling of the shears, but that is a simple shimming job.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Interesting. The leadscrew dips when you engage the halfnuts? I have the same problem but the other way round, my leadscrew lifts slightly when engaging the halfnuts. Not as much as 80 thou though, thats rather a lot!

The original bed thickness is nominally 0.500" so they have only taken around 0.005" off at the regrind so surely it can't be that. Mine had around 0.006" taken off the bed, but when I reground the saddle I had to take 0.008" off to get rid of all the wear, so that would have altered things a little bit. I ground it the same amount on the bearing surfaces and the clamp faces.

I too would be interested to see if anyone has had/fixed this problem.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Variation on [1] Plug the holes with top hatted plugs to fit the hole and counterbore, press in and loctite, then redrill.

.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

That might be the way to do it. If I turn up some 1/4"BSF studs with points on the ends, I can screw them into the holes in the bed and tap the blued-up brackets against them to get the new centres to drill from.

Do you think that 603 Loctite would hold half a plug in or should I drill the holes out large enough that the new holes are entirely in the plugs?

I'm sure it'd be easier to just slop a tin of grey paint over the lathe, but I'll be damned if I'll sell something that I'd not be happy to keep.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Variation on 3 Plug the holes in the half nuts, redrill & tap?

Reply to
Charles Lamont

I strongly suspect that that you are only working in 2D whereas the complaint appears to be in 3 D!

The wear on a ML7 bed appears AFTER the lathe fails to surface properly. This relates to the wear in the central tongue or guide system. I know that it sounds cockeyed- but better people than me and thee have written on it. The Question is "what happened- afore thee and me?" Did the original owner adopt 'scrape the tongue' method or adopt going off the (?) unused rear shear method as advocated by Martin Cleeve? Or, did something else happen- before the 6thou came off the bed? Again, the front shear will probably continue in use but 6" from the chuck end it will be hollow- and have the gibs been re-scraped- or the whole lot might be flopping about in the breeze like a loose cannon.

Years ago, I wrote how I did up friend's ML7 in MEW Postbag. Lord knows where it is- I'm technically in need of more than a regrind and a few perforations bunged up. I think that my my order was a bit like this

  1. I scraped a ms bar to level the front
  2. I checked the inner ways for the tailstock etc
  3. I used a hand surface grinder to do all the worn gibs
  4. I mounted the saddle upside down on parallels and squared the whole bottom of the saddle
5 Then the shears can be licked 6 The odds are that the top of the saddle is bent- and even greater if it is a long saddle. And so it goes on. Re-assembly is a matter of slow care balancing new shims and so forth.

Once the lathe is a Static entity- you can move on!

If there is another easier solution, please tell us

Cheers

Norm

Reply to
ravensworth2674

I take it that the Martin Cleeves idea of using the rear shear involve

milling enough off the rear of the saddle to accomodate a gib strip Would like to know as I have a spare saddle I could play with. Thank Davi

-- stereotyp

----------------------------------------------------------------------- stereotype's Profile:

this thread:

stereotype

You can do that, or you can mill an appropriate amount off the leadscrew mounting brackets. If gib strip is a length of 1/2"x1/32"ground flat stock, you may find that scraping for alignment is all that is needed. Once you've done the alignment and fitting, hold the gib in with some Loctite.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Don't know if it applies to the ML7,but on my Super7 the bushing that the operating arm goes through is eccentric to enable the height of the closed half nuts to be adjusted.

Allan

Reply to
Allan Waterfall

It isn't on the ML7 but, come to think of it, that would be the obvious fix!

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand