Mono Ethyl Glycol

Anyone know a UK source of Mono-Ethyl-Glycol ? I need about 15 litres or so.

NB although this is an antifreeze it is NOT normal automotive antifreeze (which I think is Ethylene-Glycol) as it apparently has different electrical qualities.

Any chemists reading who know what the differences are please let me know as for once Googling hasn't produced anything that I can understand

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

You're going to need a lot of tonic to go with that ;-)

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

You've found this reference? and you know the CAS no? CAS 107-21-1

and this - it's listed on the "E" page. Use your "Find" facility for the CAS no.

Malcolm Stewart

message

Malcolm,

Thanks for that - my confusion is wether 'mono-ethyl-glycol' and 'mono-ethylene-glycol' are the same stuff or not. If they are then quite a few sources, but I cannot seem to get confirmation.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Andrew

Mono-ethyl-glycol is not a chemically "proper" name, so it doesn't define a specific structure. You'd need more info to be sure what is meant.

My best guess is that they mean ethane-1,2-diol, otherwise ethylene glycol HO-C2H4-OH, which is the main component of anti-freeze, though far from the only one - modern formulations are full of other things, mainly corrosion inhibitors.

All best

Norman

Reply to
Norman Billingham

I asked a chemist friend, and his reply is:

We think its the same, basically antifreeze.The link may help.

hth Dave

Reply to
david.sanderson

I think this is the stuff they use in the food industry...(( checks database.. :-) ))

Talk to Union Carbide on 01642 374 000, they make the stuff and will tell you a local agent.

I have Ellis & Everard ?? 01818 585 806 ?? with a London branch 02088 585

806.

If I remember correctly they supplied me with 2 x 25 l of the stuff a couple of years ago.

Reply to
Jonathan Barnes

Propylene Glycol is the stuff used in food colouring, and pharmaceuticals. I once used it as a vehicle for home made black ink for computer printer.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

Also, I believe, sometimes sold as a 'safer' antifreeze.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

I'm not talking about a food additive.. the stuff I'm thinking of is used in heat exchanger / chillier systems... it is non toxic only in case of a plate crack which would lead to contamination of the product. Anyway... it's not the Mono-Ethyl-Glycol the OP was after...

Ellis & Everard can supply MEG... in 200 Kg drums for £ 940 :-(

Union carbide number is now Dow ...who are unable to help at all.

Maybe E&E might be able to identify the manufacturer.. who might know of someone who sells small quantities...

Reply to
Jonathan Barnes

There isn't any difference between ethylene glycol and mono ethyl glycol, although commercial automotive antifreeze will have lots of other chemicals in it.

Ethylene glycol has a (not very noticeable) tendency to polymerise, forming molecules with such exotic names as diethylene glycol (DEG), triethylene glycol (TEG), and polyethylene glycol (which you will find in products from "icecream" to shampoo under the acronym PEG).

Not-very-good chemists who are interested in using ethylene glycol as a feedstock for making polymers sometimes call it monoethylene glycol or MEG, and even worse chemists (usually chemical salesmen from the Indian subcontinent) sometimes call it mono ethyl glycol.

It is also used in co-polymers, where it joins with some other compound or two into larger molecules. These are widely used as fibres for clothing.

(monoethyl glycol is not a proper name for a chemical - neither is monoethylene glycol for that matter, but that name is actually used far more often. They all refer to 2-hydroxyethanol, aka 1,2-dihydroxyethane, aka

1,2-ethanediol, aka ethane-1,2-diol, aka antifreeze, but most commonly known as ethylene glycol:

. H H . | | . H - O - C - C - O - H . | | . H H

CAS no 107-21-1 )

There is also a propylene glycol which is much less toxic. Both ethylene glycol and propylene glycol are widely available.

Ethylene glycol solution is used for liquid coolant circuits in computers, as is propylene glycol, so I imagine they have some relevant electrical properties. I did once read about them, but I forget the details, sorry, it was a long time ago. However using the correct name you may have more success when googling.

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

triethylene

products from

compound or

clothing.

commonly known

ethylene

computers,

electrical

Blimey Peter - no wonder I didn't understand it !!!!!

Many thanks for the comprehensive reply (which I have printed out for reference)

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Andrew

Were you looking for something like this?

Cheers Tim Dutton Dry-Dock Traditional & Modern canal craft repairs Vintage diesel engine service

Reply to
Tim Leech

litres

Tim,

Thanks for the tip - I'll keep an eye on it. I'm currently using a copper 'hot tank' full of cold water and pumping the water to be cooled through the primary coil. OK for short term use.

What I really want is a water cooler / chiller of the sort used in HVAC applications often seen on office and shop roofs with a biggish fan and radiator.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson