Reply to
patrickdarcy

here. This is

Reply to
patrickdarcy

Approach usenet with caution?

Reply to
Peter Neill

If you can't take some gentle ribaldry Patrick you shouldn't have subscribed. Get used to it because it happens here.

Cliff.

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

No subscription necessary - this is a newsgroup - open to all, and probably accessed by you via Google Groups who steal the content !!!!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

On or around Fri, 12 Jun 2009 09:29:49 +0100, "Dragon" enlightened us thusly:

If it's a roundhead student, then there're very limited possibilities.

1) does it have a screwcutting gearbox? 2) if so, is it imperial/metric? 3) on the apron, does the lever to engage sliding or surfacing feed move along under the apron and lift into one of 2 slots?

There were options on screwcutting, but I think most are supplied with the gearbox. There was a Mk 1½ which had the round headstock but Mk2-type apron.

That's about it.

Have a check on

for more info. I did somewhere find on the net a list for translating serial numbers, which IIRC are on the bed somewhere, which let nme know that my Mk 1 is a 1960 model, which makes it damn-nigh 50 years old, and at least 6 years older than me.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Fri, 12 Jun 2009 05:17:08 -0700 (PDT), wheelfelloff enlightened us thusly:

yeah, they're all noisy. it's down to the gear design.

Mine's running on a single-phase high-starting torque 2HP motor, but it's a bit underpowered, it could really do with 3HP.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Fri, 12 Jun 2009 08:06:39 -0700 (PDT), mark enlightened us thusly:

Mine is 1960 and a 1200 rpm.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sat, 13 Jun 2009 14:43:23 -0700 (PDT), Hood enlightened us thusly:

another difference, IIRC: the Mk 2 has a split (and hence adjustable) crossfeed nut. The Mk 1 doesn't, don't know about the Mk 1½.

Actually, my Mk1 now has a split nut too, but that's 'cos I modified it :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Mk 1.5 has solid crossfeed nut. Hood

Reply to
Hood

On or around Thu, 18 Jun 2009 10:54:05 -0700 (PDT), Hood enlightened us thusly:

another item of data for the knowledge-base.

It's not that hard to convert, in fact. I've still got some play in the crossfeed, but nowhere near what it had before.

Reply to
Austin Shackles