Plate glass as a surface plate?

It's horribly specific, I'm afraid.

My local shop has replaced the output relays for the 3rd time; they last around 5 years.

But now they say that Sugden have no more suitable spec relays, which means around 5 years from now, my (ahem) quite expensive (and much liked) amplifier will become scrap.

Unless (of course) a different relay can be used, or the amp modified to not have a relay.

Any advice?

BugBear

Reply to
bugbear

I am no expert on such things, so please take this as a suggestion for further research! However, AIUI the output relays on power amplifiers are included to protect the loudspeakers from switching transients - they delay connecting the output until the amplifier has stabilised. you could probably achieve the same protection by turning the volume control to zero while switching on, then turning up to listening volume after a few seconds (having, of course, by-passed the relay when it has died).

A little observation with an oscilloscope would probably show you what was going on.

I'm sure a better solution would be to find a suitable replacement relay, but I can't help with a suggested alternative. In fact, it is probably not a simple relay, but must incorporate a delay switch (thermal?).

Best of luck!

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

Thanks for the suggestion but, as my dear old mother would have said " Life's too short to stuff a mushroom" ! --

Chris Edwards

Sometimes, sometimes the output relays in amps are designed to protect the amp against short circuits in the loudspeaker leads, sometimes both functions are on one relay or they use two or more relays. But he didn't say it was an output relay.

Sometimes a relay in an amp is for ps overload or even fire protection. High-end ones sometimes use them for input switching as well! The list goes on...

That won't work reliably against startup transients. It might in some cases, depending on design, but even then what if the kids turn the amp on without turning the knob down? If there's a brief power cut?

Nope, they are simple relays: either a delay is electronically generated or often on high-end equipment it tests to see whether the condition it protects against is absent.

I've been out of the electronic repair field for a good while (there's no money in it now when it's cheaper to buy the foreign-made-latest-greatest than to repair it at a reasonable charge - high end Brit/US stuff yes, but there isn't enough work unless you sit in a workshop all day and someone brings you work and takes a large chunk of the profits, which ends up being poorly-paid as well and boring to boot), and I've never worked on a Sugden Au51-P, but I'd be very surprised if a competent electronic engineer couldn't find some suitable replacement relays somewhere.

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

nah - tomatoes maybe, but mushrooms take no time at all. fry some onion, and breadcrumbs while grilling the mushrooms on a bit of foil, add nuts and cheese then just tip the lot o top of the mushies and grill a bit more. delicious!

what - you didn't think I was going to try and put the stuffing _inside_ the mushroom, did you? or clean the grill?

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

We use a lot of relays, both PCB and power stuff, and also small DC contactors.

If the original relay type can be determined, and thus the ratings, it should be possible to find either a relay or a small contactor do do the job.

A lot of small-volume relays went out of the market when Schrack and Tyco were buying up the industry, but there are a lot of options still available and it sounds as though the originals may possibly have been too small anyway.

Get some details and let's have a look at it.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

Asda do them as well - I just bought myself one - 12 quid for about

24x18 inches.

I used to use a 12" square piece of marble fire surround, 'til I dropped it moving sheds.

Reply to
bigegg

Sounds exciting, I may have a go at that. Would a gas ring do instead o= f a=20 bunsen burner dyt ?

I'll keep an eye out but the =A318 price I've seen quoted on the web is a= bit dear=20 for such a thing.

Cheers,

--=20 Boo

Reply to
Boo

...as demonstrated in this YouTube video...

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Excellent example, and much more fluid than the usual cornflour mixes that this is demonstrated with.

Regards Kevin

Reply to
Kevin