Support/leveling a Surface Plate

I have acquired an 18x24x4 inch granite surface plate. Next step is to make a stand. I found the placement of the support pads in Guy Lutard's The Machinist's Third Bedside Reader, but he doesn't say anything about the size of the support pads. I am thinking about using three nylon chairleg glides mounted on the ehd of 1/4" bolts. I have some 3/4" diameter glides. Are they big enough?

Reply to
keith bowers

The pads under my 18x24 are 1.5" dia and 1/2" thick and look like hard rubber. There are two pads next to each other at the one support position, like an 8 with the long axis of the 8 parallel to the 18" dimension. It's on a bench (a v_e_r_y sturdy bench) and I don't know how this info would translate to a stand. I'd use something larger than 3/4", but I tend to overdesign a bit.

Tove

Reply to
Tove Momerathsson

Does your surface plate stand have pads mounted on its lower side?

Anyway, I built a surface plate stand for mine, same size as yours, and I have liked it for many years. I used those cubicle wall support feet, probably about the same as yours, also I believe on 1/4-20 or 5/16-18 threads. See my stand tacked together but not yet welded:

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Yes..but....it will slide like crazy on nylon, and 18x24 will slowly flatten them out.

My big 36x52, is on 3 leather "hockey pucks". You need something non-slippery, and non compressable. Got a pair of old boots or thick soled shoes you dont want anymore..cut em out of the sole . They only need to be 1" or i diameter or on a side, for your plate. 2" would be swell.

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence, and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years . It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints, and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,

Reply to
Gunner

Chair legs? Umm, can they handle the weight? Probably, but be careful, you don't want a 250 Lb. chuck of granite leaping about your shop!

I did a 24 x 36 x 4" plate, weighing 375 Lbs. I used 3 1" diameter pieces of stock with a 1" - 20 TPI adjusting screw on one end, and a 1" ball on the other. These ball joints fit into some 2.5" dia sockets, flat on the other side.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

VERY nice looking project, Grant. Bill

Reply to
lathenut

In my Metrology Handbook they have a picture of a stand made from Tube steel and use three.

Should be a tripod in shape. Standards exist if you don't have them - dimensions - I think I saw you did.

I think the dual created a pivot line and two points. That might be a problem.

Martin Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Tove Momerathss>

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn