Pre Harrogate advice - who do I throw money at?

Hi, apologies for a fairly long first request for help. Early retirement due to poor health a couple of years ago has meant that after some improvement, I can now spend some time using the machines that fell into my path over the last 25 years. Actual use of these machines however, has revealed serious shortcomings in my choice. Before a visit to Harrogate to throw what little remains of my funds at the various dubious (or honest, from this side of the purchase I can't tell the difference) traders, some of your hard won advice would be much appreciated. I have completed the requisite search on "new", "import", "Chinese", "Myford", "Warco", "Chester", "secondhand" etc and spent many happy hours reading the results. Unfortunately it hasn't helped a lot.

The first thing that went was a Speed 10, excellent machine but, for me, just too small and basic when used all the time. It was replaced by a Super 7 which is OK (nice to use actually) within its' range. However, I need (want!) something bigger (5 to 6 inch) to compliment it. My apprenticeship (late 60's) was spent on the typical Boxfords, Students, Bantams and occasional Harrison and one of those would seem the logical choice. This is where it gets difficult as my funds are limited and my past choice of secondhand machines (4 small lathes) has been a complete disaster, I've bought nothing that I've been pleased with. In fact the machines seemed to have been saved from the scrapman by a coat of paint and a chance meeting with the village idiot (me). I've looked at all of the machines on E-Bay, and scanned most of the used tool dealers, a Bantam would seem to fit the bill but I just don't trust my judgment of "good" or "worn out".

In that case it's easy (I thought I heard you say?) just but a new Warco, Chester etc and get on with it. Again, my past mistakes confuse the issue. I have an old Naerok 918 which I have to admit is fairly accurate but compared to the Myford is just nasty to use. The saddle and cross slide have a habit of sticking if you try to move them quickly and the topslide just makes my fingers sore. The drive train is frustrating and the machine so lightly built that deeper cuts need real care and patience (qualities that I lack). In short my only "import" lathe I find horrible to use.

I had thought of the Warco BH600 or Chester Craftsman as the size and equipment looks suitable and the =A31600 price tag appears very reasonable. However, I don't want to end up with a bigger version of my "nasty little lathe". Any personal experience/advice would be much appreciated. What I need is a machine that feels like a large Myford to use. I suppose like many of you I suspect, I think I'm looking for an almost unused late Bantam 1600 type machine for under =A32k. Where (or from whom) can I get one, or will I be content with one of the latest generation of improved Chinese lathes?

Best regards

Confused of South Wales

Reply to
jontom_1uk

Jontom,

Have Emailed you offlist - can offer either a Boxford or a Harrison M250, & neither will be £2000!

----------------------------------------------------------- snipped-for-privacy@boltblue.com

jrlloyd

I suppose that it depends upon two factors:

1/ the degree of perfection that you demand 2/ the space available

If the first is sky high then you'll always be looking and you may never be totally happy. If the second isn't an issue then you have more choice 'cos bigger machines tend to be cheaper.

There was a nice looking Harrison for sale recently that might suit. Nothing to to with me though.....

Charles

Visit

The free pages to buy and sell workshop equipment

Reply to
Charles Ping

in a few days time i may or may not have a pile of colchester students."ex school" this isnt confermed and i dont know if I'm being led-on. if im not being led on and the machiines are in good condition.....then maybe I could sell you one at a good resonable realistic price......if you dont hear anymore from me on this ..THEN I've been lead-on. I'm about 190 miles away or there abouts. all the best...mark.....

Reply to
mark

Mark

Thanks for you offer of the possible Student but you will see from my reply to Charles that I have now spent some of my "little pot of gold". I was lucky in that snipped-for-privacy@boltblue.com is close to me and had a nice Boxford to part me from my money.

Best regards

Reply to
jontom_1uk

Charles

Thanks for your comments which were more thought provoking than you might have intended. They were certainly "close to the mark". My background is in Aerospace and our machine shops (up to a few years ago) were neither "cash starved" nor "production orientated". In fact prototype, complex component recovery, tool making and very small batch runs were the order of the day. Machine capability and accuracy were the only priorities.

After reflecting on your "degree of perfection demanded", I realised that the lathes I mentioned Students, Harrisons etc were the machines that we "animals" were actually allowed to use. The machines that we drooled over and twiddled the handles of when the "senior" guys were on tea break, consisted of CVA, DSG, Holbrook, Hardinge, Huron and Mikron as well as the newer "production" models of those manufactures already mentioned. I suspect that getting a "feel" for the slideway movements from this type of machine was not a fair comparison for my cheap import lathe. Or, for that matter, any lathe I am likely to be able to afford/fit in the shed. Of course all of the newer "posh and shiny" machines had only buttons to push anyway - difficult to get a feel from them! Yes I know all of the various controllers have different "feel" but I was not sufficiently "au fait" with any of them to notice the difference.

So, equipped with my new "reality" I ventured into deepest darkest Wales (thick trousers on zip NOT oiled) to visit snipped-for-privacy@boltblue.com. After an enjoyable couple of hours looking at his workshop and "talking machines", John somehow managed to force open my wallet and I became the new owner of a very nice Boxford. I'm sure it's alright as he assured me I really did need one and the wife was far too keen to get home to put up any sort of fight. All I have to do now is find his shed again to pick it up from and then of course begin the process of remembering how to use it.

As I like "shiny new things" I was a bit disappointed that I was not inundated with recommendations for the "silky smooth" action of **$&* lathes, but, perhaps not surprised. Anyway, too late, I have joined the band of "old British machinery" supporters and am waiting for my beard and anorak to be delivered.

Thanks for the pointer to the web site but I am already a convert and check at least twice a day to see what goodies have been added. If the Harrison that JohnL is arranging for me to see is as good as the Boxford I'm sure I will be watching carefully for some suitable steadies, D1-3 chucks etc. I would also like to add my thanks to the others I've already seen for the new site. It must be something of a thankless task and I always admired Chris for lasting as long as he did. Many thanks to you and John and long may you have the energy and patience to help the rest of us out.

Best regards

Reply to
jontom_1uk