Rubber and polystyrene glue

Sorry to spoil all the fun here chaps, but I was wondering if anyone had any experiance or ideas as to how I may stick sheets of rubber onto sheets of expanded polystyrene.

You have to bear in mind that the polystyrene will get atacked by various solvents, and that rubber is a great release agent, but there must be some method, I just cant think of it

The whole assembly needs to withstand high temperatures when its left out in the sun as well

Answers on a postcard to................

Ed

Reply to
Ed

In article , Ed writes

'user friendly' 'odorless' superglue is supposed to be OK on polystyrene foam; haven't tried it though.

Reply to
Chris Holford

Did I forget I need to use vast quantities of whatever it is as well, so price is prolly a bit of an issue

Reply to
Ed

If there's a lot of surface area to be covered, wouldn't a mastic do?

I spent a 'fun' 15 minutes at the weekend slapping black mastic sealant onto a leaky gutter joint, and there's absolutely no doubt that the damn stuff sticks to any and everything.

OK, it won't set like a proper glue, but with the light weight of the materials you're working with, and the presumably large contact area, you should find it will hold fast.

Its chief advantage is that it's relatively cheap. Might even pay to use it in conjunction with a proper glue...the mastic would take most of the strain, the glue would provide anchor points.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Why not try Araldite - it sticks most things together without any adverse reactions to them. Its "almost" the universal answer for sticking things, though often not the cheapest! Dave.

Reply to
speedy2

I'd use a low vapour contact adhesive Evo Stick and others make one and if you buy big tins it's fairly inexpensive. I've used this for sticking veneers to expanded polystyrene wing cores and rubber sheets to glass fibre.

The low vapour version of the contact adhesives do not contain the solvents that can melt the polystyrene.

Don't use anything like an epoxy as you need a flexible glue.

Reply to
Classic Sales

Loctite technical helpline = 01707 358 800

Have given me good advice on several sticky situations.

-- Jonathan

Barnes's theorem; for every foolproof device there is a fool greater than the proof.

To reply remove AT

Reply to
Jonathan Barnes

I have had some success with using silicone rubber sealant (the sort used for sealing baths etc) to glue expanded polystyrene blocks together - I imagine it would stick rubber to it as well.

Steve

---------------------------------------------------------- Steve Randall G8KHW snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com UKRA #1072 Level 2

steve randall

He didn't actually say that he needed it to be flexible!

Dave.

Reply to
speedy2

Very true Dave but rubber and polystyrene tends to be flexible whether you like it or not :-)

Andy

Reply to
Classic Sales

Not after you've given it a good thick coating of epoxy ;-)

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Copydex? Its water based latex, should stick rubber.

Whatever you use, buy a small amount and test it first to see if it falls apart the next week, (like when I glued ABS with epoxy and my boat fell apart.)

Reply to
Martin L

I think contact adhesive is best for sheet. You could also try a hot-melt glue gun, if you don't mind a bit of a gap. I've used a low-heat cheapo gun on expanded polystyrene with success, it should stick to rubber and be fairly weatherproof. Could be difficult to put on quickly enough if the rubber sheets aren't flexible, though.

Guy

Reply to
Guy

Ooh, good call - the old 'fish glue'. I stuck some vinyl headlining in my old Landy with Copydex, thinking that if I ever needed to remove the lining it would just peel away. Wrong!!

Expanding along those lines, a bucket of carpet tile adhesive might do the trick too. If nothing else, it'll provide hours of innocent fun spent picking the glue off your fingers!

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Can't argue with that!

Reply to
Classic Sales

How about polyurethane sealant/adhesive? Not solvent based so should not atack polystyrene. Flexible and bonds to almost anything.

Regards, Russell.

Reply to
Russell Eberhardt

The message from steve randall contains these words:

Will double sided tape be any use?

Reply to
William J Lamond