Sensible ideas for excess steel plate

I have about 100 lengths of 80mm X 6mm BMS flat, all about a metre long, which is now redundant due the customer going bust.

Rather than scrap it, any sensible ideas of what could be made from it are welcome, to regain a little of my lost expenses.

Steam engine frames are one idea, but wonder if many frames are 6mm thick ?

Reply to
Emimec

You could make hundreds of 0.025" by 3/16" screwdrivers.

I'll get me coat.

Reply to
David

I'm thinking "wrought" iron barbecue grills, or it'd make a stonking trellis for a really heavy climbing plant.

Shame it's not heat-treatable otherwise i'd suggest ebaying it as knife blanks.

Reply to
bigegg

Sorry to hear you got caught.At present scrap prices you`d struggle to get =A340 for it. One of the problems is as you probably know,BMS flat tends to move all over the place when you mill it.People are selling loco side frames which are lasered and I doubt you could compete pricewise.I`d be inclined to try selling it bit by bit for about =A34-5 each,probably on homeworkshop.org Other problem is you are not in the best location for people collecting.Sorry not to be more positive. Mark.

Reply to
mark

Sorry to hear you got caught.At present scrap prices you`d struggle to get £40 for it. One of the problems is as you probably know,BMS flat tends to move all over the place when you mill it.People are selling loco side frames which are lasered and I doubt you could compete pricewise.I`d be inclined to try selling it bit by bit for about £4-5 each,probably on homeworkshop.org Other problem is you are not in the best location for people collecting.Sorry not to be more positive. Mark.

Hi Mark Not as sorry as me, got caught for one hell of a big lump, 14K !!!! You're right about scrap, hence the thought to turn it into something. I think I'll just leave it sitting in the workshop until something comes up one day. I have several ideas, but that will mean getting involved with sheet metal benders which is going to get more and more involved. Such a shame North London has declined into nothing but supermarkets now. There was a time when all the big household names were here. I'll never forget my time at Belling cookers factory and the 1200 ton presses, the dull thud as they came down, and then the ground tremble, 4 tools stamping out sides of cookers or hobs etc on one press.Ah ! memories ! Bob

Reply to
Emimec

In article , Emimec writes

If you decide to sell it in part-loads, I'd be interested in three or four lengths.

Reply to
Nigel Eaton