Sets of parallels

Please can anyone point me towards a set of slim parallels like these

but 200mm or more long. I don't need super accuracy but the 6"/150mm ones that I can find all over the place, are too short to pass through the jaws of my milling vice.

1/8" -1/4" thick would be fine. I have 1/2" and above in longer lengths but need something to set up those fiddly little jobs.

TIA

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

In article , Bob Minchin writes

Bob,

If you can't find any, you could always do what I did many years ago, before I bought a set of parallels - cut some lengths of gauge plate of the desired cross section.

Some gauge plate is ground on all 4 sides, some only on the wide faces; obviously the former is the type to go for. It's expensive if you buy retail, but it can often be found going cheap; even J&L have it on special offer quite often.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

Thanks David. As it appears that sets are not available, I will possibly follow you suggested route.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

A tip I learned at college (after I retired) was to use a couple of lengths of silver steel rod (drill rod for those in the USA) if the appropriate parallels were not available.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

If you make one pair from alumin(i)um you can safely drill through the work anywhere.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins