Shim washers

I'm needing some shims about 15mm OD by 8.5mm ID in a variety of thicknesses, from 0.05 to 0.2mm.

However, I need them without any burrs, due to the way they've to be fitted. They're needed to space out a pivot bush that slots in between two sides of a frame, so that once the bolt is tightened, the frame clamps down onto the pivot bush with minimal deformation (it's quite a strong alloy frame, so ideally I want to get things as tight as possible with shims, so only a slight nip up on the bolt tightens the bush so it can't turn). And any burrs, mean the shims won't slide in as tight as I'd like.

I've managed to make a suitable shim on the lathe for now, but due to the burrs left, it meant I had to make one a bit thinner than what I really need.

I'm thinking getting them laser cut would probably be the best option?

As always, I'm open to suggestions for techniques/suppliers.

Thanks Moray

Reply to
moray

If you clamp the shim between two dishes (that will be turned down too) while turning, there will be no burr left.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

frame, so

option?

Can you photo etch them ?

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

No reason why not.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Or buy ready made ones? Though the selection of diameters will be limited.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Why can't you remove the burrs on flat stone or diamond

Reply to
F Murtz

Anybody got any links to websites about photo etching? Currently googling it, but not finding much hobbyist information in the results..

Done some PCBs a while back, but that was using iron on transfer.

Reply to
moray

Tried, but they're just a bit too fiddly to do easily, plus I could do with a good selection, so was looking for something more suited to doing multiples.

Reply to
moray

Iron on transfer should work just fine. Problem will be getting it registered accurately on both sides - or alternatively, just iron on the "washer" transfer on one side and paint resist all over the other side.

IIRC there was an article in MEW a few issues back on photo etching if you want to go that route.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree