Silicone rubber

I don't keep old posts so had to start a new thread. This is just to say thanks to whoever posted the tip about adding cornflour to 'ordinary' silicone rubber sealer to make it set faster. From time to time I make bow bumpers for model racing yachts and having given it a go am delighted with the results. When using just the plain sealer you can never be sure how long it takes to set in a mould. In my simple test it set overnight and could have been even quicker I guess

Henry

Reply to
Dragon

Keep mould in a moist atmosphere and silicone sealants/adhesives will set a lot quicker.

I've never tried accelerating silicone rubber's setting as it relies on a chemical 'hardener'.

Reply to
Macabre of Auchterloonie

I am aware of the two part silicone rubber that employs a hardener so guess that's what you are referring to. It is used by commercial makes of model racing yachts but the problem for the amateur is one of cost as only small quantities are needed occasionally. The usual sorts of bath tub sealant do the job and I now can make them set reliably with no noticeable change to their elasticity

Henry

"Macabre of Auchterlo>> I don't keep old posts so had to start a new thread.

Reply to
Dragon

Assuming the business is still there, I can provide the address of one company near Diss, Norfolk, which (IIRC) does mail order, and provides smallish quantities of silicone rubber components.

Reply to
Macabre of Auchterloonie

That could be useful, so yes please! The one problem with mixing cornflour with ordinary silicone sealer is that it is difficult to avoid trapping air. That's OK for my use if in the middle but not on the surface and it is tedious to get the surface coated. I've made several and the results whilst all useable most leave something to be desired. The moulds I'm talking about are quite small and tapered in all directions. A bit like a ridge with a flat base that is stuck to the bow of the boat. Approximately 80mm long, 10 mm wide and 15 mm deep at the thick top end.

Henry

Reply to
Dragon

Two-part silicone is quite a bit more expensive than bathroom silicone, but it's not _that_ expensive, eg compared to Sugru.

Look for RTV silicone in eBay.

-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

In article , Peter Fairbrother writes

Or Google "Alex Tiranti", they do silicone moulding compound and lots of other stuff for casters.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

In article , David Littlewood writes

OK, I confess, it's Alec Tiranti, not Alex. to compensate for my error I looked up the website, which is

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

I'll get on to the case right away.

Reply to
Macabre of Auchterloonie

Tanside Ltd High London Lane Winfarthing Diss IP22 2EF

Macabre of Auchterloonie

Thanks for the effort but Tanside seem to be into clothing and accessories not silicone rubber. Not to worry as Peter has drawn my attention to EBay. I'll carry on with the sealant trick for now as the ordinary silicone as I have some and don't often need to make bow bumpers.

Thanks to all who responded

Henry

Reply to
Dragon

Just took the address off a search engine - it's not the range I'm used to seeing in their shop. Mind you, I haven't been there for ten years or so.

Will try to get over there - but it's difficult, buses are rare.

Reply to
Macabre of Auchterloonie