small air compressor for powering steam model

Yep - it went through them like a dose of - err - castor oil...

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Yes 5W. Shell Helix is 5W while I believe Mobile One is 0. Both widely available in petrol stations, motor factors, Halfords and the like.

Cliff.

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

The white scarves they wore were not an affectation, they were intended to stop stop the oil being inhaled, though I have my doubts about their effectiveness.

Cliff.

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

NO! It's a mineral oil.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

I knew some old WW1 pilots, and they all said the castor oil made them sick. The oil I mentioned is mineral oil, also known as "Russian type oil". It's stool softener in people, and a damned good pure oil for the other purposes mentioned. works fine for running steam engines on air, but not steam. A clock I lubed with it 30 years ago is still running, and is often on my video stream when it's night here on the West coast of Canada. In the daytime the cam is aimed out a window, though I do go on in person a few times a week, late at night with the chat room open.

Try:

Steve R.

In article , Steve R. writes

My father used to use it as hair oil in the distant, impecunious past. Yuk! - I can't stand having anything greasy on my hair.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

In article , Cliff Coggin writes

Thanks - I'll get some next time I fill-up.

Reply to
Bob Unitt