Sand Casting Patterns & Supplies

Hello, I know I posted to this board already. But realized that it might be good to post just one more time. I am selling items for a steel casting foundry, on ebay. If you are a sandcaster, by trade or as a hobby, I may have some items that you might be interested in. I have many more than what is currently listed, and will continue to list over the next several months. Thank you for having such an active discussion board (one of the most active I've seen!) I've actually been able to learn some about the items that I'm selling. Thank you! :)

Hallie

hjab

Hello, all,

I just lugged what appears to be a brand-new air compressor out of the trash at work. It is a little pancake-style unit, but uses what appears to be a modified refrigeration compressor. It has a band around it that holds the top on, an oil fill cap on top and an oil level sight glass on the side. The rest of the pancake compressor arrangement is quite conventional.

The maker is Novair, model silaire, rated at 3 M^3/Hr, which works out to 1.8 CFM. I couldn't find much about this model anywhere on the web, although the maker seems to be a major manufacturer of compressors and vacuum pumps.

Anyway, the first order of business is to put oil in it, it appears to have been drained for shipment. Even if I tilt it, I can't see any oil in the window. Anyone know what sort of oil would be good for this? Remember, it is basically a hermetic refrigeration compressor, so the motor windings are exposed to the oil.

Also, I can't find the air intake on this thing, which is a bit of a puzzle.

Obviously,it is a 230 V 50 Hz design, hopefully it will run from 240 V 60 Hz without much trouble.

Thanks in advance for any info or pointers on this.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

[...]

?x?%?1à {^±?ò+]ê|ð ?î'ü>Øi¶?ÁÖ&¸TE 3Xö OzC?Éq±D?Èï.¤ÊrUþzÅU?¾"{Ù?^j¼v9a?º?? £÷:JBàï_¸;?G&uÀKèX??©û³(4»

Reply to
Trevor Jones

You need dielecric oil... Go to a place that sells sump pumps... They use the same oil...

Reply to
Kevin Beitz

I've seen HVAC service vacuum pumps built like that before. I wonder if this might be one?

Reply to
Jim Levie

No, it is a complete, commercial air compressor, not a vacuum pump. I fired it up today, and it seems to work fine on 240 V 60 Hz. It sits on an air tank, has pressure gauges for the tank, a regulator, and pressure gauge for the regulated output. It also has a pressure switch to turn it on when needed.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

how about a dentist air compressor for his air tools?

Reply to
Rhbuxton

Similar compressors are used in the medical and graphic arts (airbrushing) trades. Sometimes they're INSIDE their accompanying air tanks. That makes servicing difficult, but they're wonderfully quiet.

Dan Mitchell ==========

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell

This sounds a LOT like the 'silent' compressors used by dentists and airbrush professionals. They are very expensive for casual use, often approaching $1000 with tank and fittings. If it works, you may have a 'lucky find'!

Dan Mitchell ==========

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell

[...]

Kenneth Widdall