Sand

Anyone got any hint on modeling sand? OO scale. For around a lake I am building. Should I use....sand :-) Woodland Scenics hasn't got a sand equivalent Rob

Reply to
Rob

Yep - sand is OK to use for sand, but try and find the finest sand you can. Coarse sand looks great for a UK beach, but needs much finer - almost dust-like - to best approximate sand. You may have to lightly airbrush it a bit when finished to get the best hue of "sand seen from a distance rather than actually sitting on it" - if you can see what I mean.

Steve Newcastle NSW Aust

Reply to
Steve Magee

Yes, the real thing should be fine - literally. Don't go for the coarser grades; sounds a bit absurd, but you don't want it looking too over-scale! I suppose you could always sieve coarse sand to separate out the smaller grains, though.

David E. Belcher

Reply to
David E. Belcher

What colour would you use? "Desert Sand"? ;-)

Reply to
MartinS

You can use an ordinary household flour sieve.

Unless you're trying to represent, say, Brighton "beach".

Reply to
MartinS

May I suggest that you make the basic 'shape' you require with some other material and perhaps a courser sand, Building Sand. Fix this with PVA. When dry and hard give this a light/thin covering with the finish sand of your choice by brushing another layer of PVA onto the base and sprikling on the top coat.

It will need to be very fine and very dry, and I suggest 'play sand' from a toy store such as Toys-R-Us or Mothercare or 'Kiln dried sand' meant for block patio paving from a builders merchant such as Builder Center or Jewsons.

Get this down below the waterline, add stones and seaweed and then add the 'water'.

Best of luck

Reply to
David Smith

add stones and seaweed and then

What weed?

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

Good one. :-)

Actually I haven't the foggiest. Would have to go to a headland over-looking one of our beaches and see what "colour" it is from a distance. Safe to say, not Chevrolet Rocket Red.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Magee