Small digital calipers

I find digital calipers to be wonderful tools, but the standard 6" version
is a bit cumbersome for the small work I do on clocks, the parts I am
measuring tending to be less than 5 mm. I have searched, i.e. Googled,
unsuccessfully for smaller tools, for example a 3" version or less. Do
smaller calipers exist? Note that I am not looking for greater accuracy,
just a lighter, more delicate tool.
Cliff Coggin.
Reply to
Cliff Coggin
Yes, after they have faced an angle grinder. :-) Never seen a digital one, just the classical pure mechanical ones.
Nick
Reply to
Nick Mueller
Arc list a 4" version here:
Regards, Tony
Reply to
Tony Jeffree
What about a digital micrometer?
Cliff Ray
Is this caliper any use?
Might you be better off using a micrometer, digital or otherwise?
Chris
Reply to
Chris Eilbeck
Well that's got to be lighter than the 6" and at £8-50 I can afford the try it. Thanks Tony.
Cliff.
Reply to
Cliff Coggin
No, the anvils of micrometers are too wide to measure into narrow gaps. I need the knife edges of calipers.
Cliff.
Reply to
Cliff Coggin
I found a 4" in Maplins about a year ago.
John
Reply to
John Blakeley
Why do you not just cut x inches off your existing caliper?
Richard
Reply to
Richard Edwards
Because they cost over £40, and in any case I am looking for something that is smaller in every dimension.
Cliff.
Reply to
Cliff Coggin
's easy. Get a 6 quid Liddle/Netto/Aldi/Arc 6" verynear and put it in a vibratory deburrer for a couple of weeks :-)
Mark Rand (ran out of whine and had to lean to port) RTFM
Reply to
Mark Rand
It's about time they made one of theses digi verniers twice as thick ...then you've almost got a 0 - 6 inch mic..i would pay =A330 for such an item .. so how about it john, get arceuro to have some made up .
as in practise ..when measuring diameters on a lathe ..you only have to put a little twist on the thin ones, for them not to measure right..beef them up and it wont happen.
how many of you here ..like this idea.
all the best.markj
Reply to
mark
In article , mark writes
Perhaps this would serve both your wishes and those originally raised by Cliff:
David
Reply to
David Littlewood
3" and 4" here but the reading head doesn't get any smaller.
John
Reply to
John Blakeley
I could tolerate the standard size reading head, in fact I would probably need it with my eyesight. It's the large chunks of steel that are attached to the reading head that get in my way. It looks like I shall have to try grinding a large one down to the size I want.
I am really very surprised that a suitable tool does not already exist. I can't be the only person wanting to make small measurements with a caliper type of instrument.
Cliff.
Cliff.
Reply to
Cliff Coggin
I spotted those in my earlier search. They would be ideal if they had shorter knife edge jaws instead of the 10 mm. anvils.
Cliff.
Reply to
Cliff Coggin
I finally got round to buying one of these and I have to say I am impressed by the apparent quality. It would be nice to have a thumb wheel and auto-off, but at just over 10 quid I can't complain. Thanks for the tip Tony.
Cliff Coggin.
Reply to
Cliff Coggin
You can get a 3 in one with auto shut off from:

Norman Billingham