Small precision lathe which can thread cut

After being allowed to use a Hardinge HLV-H for a few awkward screwcutting jobs (e.g. small diameter inside threads in very hard material), going back to using an ordinary lathe for thread cutting seems a bit hard.

My workshop space doesn't run to a machine of this size and weight, so I've been looking for smaller precision lathes which can be used for screw cutting. Such a machine would inevitably be less rigid and thus less good at cutting threads in extra-hard materials than the Hardinge, but is there any well known outstanding example?

The usual precision small lathes (Schaublin 70, 102, Lorch, Boley) that I have used tend to be plain or have chase screwcutting, which is good for making optical compoments with short threads of a limited number of pitches, but doesn't meet my needs for a general purpose thread cutting lathe. I know schaublin thread cutting attachments exist which connected via universal joints to the end of the topslide feedscrew, but none of the machines I used had such an accessory, so I do not know what it is like to use.

The only quality small lathe I have seen with "traditional" screwcutting is the Lorch LAS, but I've never used one. Are there any other obvious options I have not thought about?

Alan

Reply to
Alan Bain

The Cowells 90ME lathe has the "traditional" screw cutting gear setup with banjo to drive the leadscrew although it is only supplied with a fine feed set of gears and no screw cutting set of gears is available from them. I suspect that the gears used would be a standard MOD size and could be obtained from gear wheel suppliers. When I get a chance I could measure up the gears and make a stab at working out what module they are.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

So as I see it, you are looking for an automated system or one based on chasers like the continental machines you mention. I do not know of any system other than the Mikron one and this is older than the ones you mention. A compromise would be to make a retracting toolholder for the machine you have. George Thomas did a good one for the Myford and this is covered in his book, the design could be adapted for other machines. Peter

Reply to
Drawfiler

It's really the clutch arrangement on the Hardinge which I like. I have been pointed to the book by Martin Cleve on screwcutting in the lathe for a description of a reversible single tooth clutch arrangement of this type which he fitted to a Myford lathe. Combined with the George Thomas retracting tool holder this looks like it might be a workable solution.

Thanks for the various ideas!

Alan

Reply to
Alan Bain

Alan,

Just for your information, the Cowells ME90 has a dog clutch on the leadscrew which can either be operated manually by a lever on the clutch, or automatically as an end stop by an adjustable rod on the carriage.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie