Speeds for thread cutting

Hi

Hopefully looking to buy my first lathe in a few months and I`ve looked at both imported and SH Myfords. Most of the imported lathes seem to have the slowest speed at around

100 rpm and I was wondering if this is a bit too fast for manual thread cutting? The advanatge over myford though is that they have a higher top speed. Also has anyone experience of the newer variable speed lathes e.g Chester DB 10V or Warco WM250 just wondering if they have much torque in the slower speeds?

Thanks in advance

Paul

Reply to
Paul M

That depends on the pitch. :-)

No, have a lathe with min. 100 RPM and thread-cutting isn't really a reaction game on here. The other has 60 RPM and I sometimes fall asleep (and wake up when the tool hits the chuck).

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

I agree, the last thread I cut was 24 tpi, and I did that about

500rpm, though I did have a 1/4" run out to stop the tool into at the end.

Dave

Reply to
dave sanderson

If this is the 918 series, the lowest speed is actually 130rpm.

I had a 9180 ex Axminster.

In ME, there is an design or two for a mechanical reduction system which Axminster used to supply but doesn't any more. It involved a few more gears- which I got from Warco plus new sized belts.

I suspect that if you refer to the 9x20 Group that you will find more info and ideas.

I reverted to a Myford ML7 and a Super 7B. I did try a 3 phase supply etc but again it involves a different pulley which contains a toothed belt which is a so and so to make- on the machine itself.

Maybe that's only my opinion and others may have different ideas.

Reply to
ravensworth2674

In message , dave sanderson writes

... or do it without that frissance of danger on my vintage Holbrook B8. It has a micro adjustable dog clutch in the gearbox operated by the position of the saddle.

Mine had been modified by a previous owner and has a Myford cross slide and an infinitely variable hydraulic drive in the cabinet. I have no intention of swapping it for anything more modern.

Reply to
Mike H