Stepper motors

Anyone out there know if.....The stepper driver I have has a multistep mode so if I select say half step mode do I get more torque as there are more
drive pulses per rev?. Or am I totally off track
cheers Chris.
On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 11:53:26 +0100, "rack2000"

Chris -
The simpler drives that just provide full and half step often do so by using full energisation of two coils to get the full step position and full energisation of only one coil to get the half step position. If your drive operates that way, then the delivered torque will be maximum when stepping from the half to the full step position, and less (by a factor of root-2) when stepping to a half step position.
In microstepping drives (i.e., drives that offer more tnan just full and half steps), the torque is constant through the microsteps, as two coils are always energised; the current in each coil is adjusted so that the rotor comes to rest at 4, 8, 10, ... whatever....different positions according to how you have set the number of microsteps.
Regards, Tony

Thanks Tony I thought I`d probably over simplified the idea.
Regards Chris.