thin washers

Hello everyone, I've come here hoping you guys might be able to help me find some washers. I'm told that the members of this group are very
resourceful.
I need 1,000 washers as follows: Zinc plated or stainless ID: Ideally 3/8" but 9.5 or even 10mm would do. OD: anything from 20 to 25mm. Metal thickness: Ideally 0.6mm, but 0.8 or 1mm (20swg) would do. No thicker. The metal thickness is the problem.
Could anyone help?
Bill

Penny Washers are too thick for you. The two standard sizes I use most often are stainlees steel M8 & M10
M8 ID 8.6mm OD 25mm thickness 1.5mm
M10 ID 10.6mm OD 29.5mm thickness 2.6mm
You could try here, not UK though http://www.bokers.com/washers.asp
--
mick

Hard to get something like that of the shelf.Get someone with a machine like this to knock them out for you.This machine can`t do it as we are too busy. http://ems-fife.co.uk/delta2.htm
Mark.

I suspect that making commercial washers this thin will lead to trouble with flatness and burs on the edge. If you are stuck, I could turn them for you from bar, this will give a nice job but would be in steel then plated, more costly in material than blanked from sheet as we have to account for the part off thickness. PM m eif you need help.
Peter
"Drawfiler" wrote

Other options could incclude laser cutting or if minimal distortion is required, water jet cutting.
Won't be cheap though.

Another option could be crinkle washers - they are thin but I don't know how thin, and available in stainless.
ark.

No problems with burrs or flatness if punch/die clearance is correct for material thickness.
On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 15:05:39 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@ems-fife.co.uk"

There's some fotos of a nicely equipped Schaublin on the ems-fife website machine sales. Not seen those binocular scopes before.
Bill H Derby

Try here in the UK for manufacture of specials.
http://www.ndjig.com/steel-washer-manufacturer.html
Or here in the States who seem to be able to supply from stock rather than specials if you use their search form.
http://www.bokers.com /
Total shipping weight would be about 1.5kg and the US postal service does a prepaid international delivery jiffy bag or cardboard box for anything up to 4lbs that you can fit into it for $13.95 which shouldn't break the bank. Might be cheaper buying over there than getting specials made here.
--
Dave Baker

try D Middleton, stock list shows penny washers M10 x 24 thickness not mentioned though http://www.stainlessmiddleton.co.uk/index.php
On 13/01/2011 16:52, Bill Wright wrote:

sounds like a job for the workshop boy and a flypress - not sure how many workshops have either nowadays though :o(
Hi Bill
have you tried a web search for "shim washers". I had a quick look and it looks as though there are a number of companies that can do bespoke washers in "shim" thickness which would cover your needs. Price - that might be the rub, but I wouldn't rule out laser cutting. I've had one off stainless steel letters 100mm high cut for about 1.25 each and could have any type face on the computer, I'd have thought a stack of straightforward penny washers should have been a much more economic propostion.
Keith
--
keithal
Hi Bill
have you tried a web search for "shim washers". I had a quick look and it looks as though there are a number of companies that can do bespoke washers in "shim" thickness which would cover your needs. Price - that might be the rub, but I wouldn't rule out laser cutting. I've had one off stainless steel letters 100mm high cut for about 1.25 each and could have any type face on the computer, I'd have thought a stack of straightforward penny washers should have been a much more economic propostion.
Keith
--
keithal

Would washers used in needle roller bearing assemblies such as these be of any use?
http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Bearings/Needle-Roller-Thrust-Bearings
The washers are hardened, steel, not exactly sure about specification of material, but usually classed as bearing steel.
i.d.3/8" x 13/16" x 0.8mm thick = washer size TRA613. We use two of these washers in needle roller bearing assembly: NTA613TRATRA, manufactured by INA or Torrington.
Depending on country of origin, they are available in cost range of 12pence each (without quality guarantee - Chinese origin) upto around 35pence each (U.S.or German origin INA or Torrington), based on quantities of 1000pcs.
If this works for you, and if you cannot get it from a "reputable" bearing dealer, give me a call at Arc Euro Trade Ltd.
Ketan at ARC.

They are. They also expect that having been so the OP will come back and say thank you.
--
Dave Baker

Dave Baker wrote:

I've been carefully reading the replies and I'm very grateful for the help and suggestions. I've started a file with all the most viable-seeming suggestions in it. I decided not to say 'thanks' individually to each person (because it gets a bit tedious for the reader), but wait until the suggestions seem to be coming to an end, then issue an all-encompassing expression of gratitude. And don't worry, I'll respond very fully, with details of the outcome, when the time comes.
It seems that this group has a lot of knowledgeable contributors, so I expect I'll lurk indefinitely, popping up with the odd query from time to time. Who knows, one day I might be able to offer some help myself!
Bill

You really need shims. Try here http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/metal-shim.html They give various results such as here http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/319223624/metal_shim.html 1000 off is enough to have them made.
John
Update: There's a hold up because the guys who were pressing me for a solution to the problem have been 'otherwise engaged', so nothing has been done. The plan (when they get round to it) is to find out exactly how thin these washers actually have to be. There is now a rumour that several different types of mounting plate were used, so that implies that one will be thicker than another, and obviously that impacts on the washer issue. These plates are not easy to access on a casual basis for security reasons. Anyway, I've got three or four good leads from here and one very good lead so I'll post the final outcome when I know it. Thanks everyone for your help.
Bill
As promised, the final outcome.
I followed up all the leads from you guys, and essentially it seemed that I could get these washers made by a lot of different firms, but the price was 220 to 240 + VAT per 1,000. That would have been alright if I could have got the customer to commit to 500 pairs, but they wouldn't.
Then I got an email from a chap who said that as a favour he would get someone at his work to make them, and the cost would be 70! Fantastic! They came yesterday and they are perfect! Apparently when they were made they came out cone-shaped because of the thin metal, but they flattened out all right.
So thanks again everyone. In the end we triumphed! If any of you need to know anything about telly aerials please come to uk.tech.digital-tv, where we will be pleased to assist.
Bill