Thread cutting

I've been playing around with my new (BH600) lathe and have bee

practising cutting screw threads. What's the rule for determining ho deep to cut a thread? One book I have says pitch x 0.64, a website found said pitch x 0.7 and another said pitch x 0.8. Maybe it' different for different sorts of threads?

I also read that one can cut a thread with the topslide square on t the workpiece (as I have been) or with it at an angle (e.g. 30 degree for a metric thread) to the workpiece. Any recommendations on which wa to use?

Brenda

-- anotheri

----------------------------------------------------------------------- anotherid's Profile:

this thread:

anotherid

You need some data. It very much depends on the thread form. For a lot of threads you can just consult a Zeus book, if you dont already have one then it's a useful thing to have.

Unless I'm in a big rush or it's a fine thread I alway use the setover method. It's easier and kinder on the tool, and you dont have to remember your last crosslide setting as all feeding is done on the compound slide.

Wayne....

Reply to
Wayne Weedon

Brendan,

Screwcutting in the lathe is relatively straight forward once you know how, but if you are starting out from scratch I would recommend you get a copy of the following book as it should give all the detail you are most likely to need.

Screwcutting In The Lathe

by Martin Cleeeve

ISBN 0-85242-838-3

(Workshop Practice Series #3 from Argus Books)

They were available from Tilgear Tel:01707 873434 for £7.00 plus postage in

2004.

Happy Screwcutting,

Mike

Reply to
Mike C

Thanks, chaps, I will acquire said books! Chronos seem to have the

both.

Brenda

-- anotheri

----------------------------------------------------------------------- anotherid's Profile:

this thread:

anotherid

Hi,

Quick note: Tesco online seem to stock some of the workshop series. If you order enough of them (about 4) they come with free delivery.

for Martin Cleeve's book.

No affiliation with Tecso meself, not even a club card. Just saving a few pence.

Ed

anotherid wrote:

Reply to
zedbert

Embarassingly, I've just checked and they've put their prices up to be the same as Amazon.

So, nuts to Teosc.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
zedbert