Edge Finders

I need a new edge finder. I broke my old Brown & Sharpe this weekend, it had a small chip in the

0.200" end and I spun it up too fast, too close to a corner and the end cracked into lots of little pieces.

J & L have Starrett edge finders for about twenty quid, or the value brand ones made by Mayar in India for about a fiver. They don't sell the Brown & Sharpe ones in the UK catalogue.

My question is are the Starrett ones worth 4 times the cost of the Indian ones? After all it's 'only' an edge finder, but then again the location from this forms the basis of precise co-ordinates. So which one to buy - a set of 4 for twenty quid or an apparent single good brand for the same price?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Or get a cheap webcam for a tenner, fit it to a suitable adapter (piece of plain rod same diam as an edge finder would do) and use it to make a "centering microscope" as per the article by myself & Dick Stephen in MEW around Jan/Feb this year.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

I read that article, and very good it was too. But a PC and webcam won't fit in my toolbox .

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Thanks!

Clearly in need of a bigger toolbox

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

I always woundered what the fancy sets are good for. I have one stepped (4 & 10mm diameter) edge finder and was never in need of another.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Reply to
Nospam

--Oops. Don't forget that in a pinch you can use an ordinary dowel pin and a cigarette paper..

Reply to
steamer

Or a smaller PC :) I do wonder how well PCs and oil/metal shavings mix I was wondering about using a small security camera and a B&W monitor but have got no further than wondering about it :)

Brenda

-- anotheri

----------------------------------------------------------------------- anotherid's Profile:

this thread:

anotherid

Never heared about that, so I googled. The prize looks OK.

But am I right that you have to guestimate where the dot is pointing to? With an diameter of the beam of 0.1mm (IIRC) there is a lot of room to guess where the edge is, especially on a camfer. The Mfg says accuracy 0.02mm (estimated). Umm ... an edge finder can do

0.01mm if you take some time.

Reviews I found were -sorry- more hobby'ish.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

monitor,

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I've been very pleased with a "Planet" screwed shank centre locator. The spherical probe is £11.95 from J & L "Advantage", and the cyl. probe is the same price if you need one sometime. Very accurate in my opinion, and made in the UK,

All the best, Peter W.

Reply to
Peter

They sure are Andrew,if you have enough time in your day to wait on them booting up.The last BT guy that was at my broadband line had one and he reckoned he switched the computer on,walked down to the carpark and got his van,back home and had a cup of coffee all while it was booting.In fairness they have a lot on them and they are reliable.Apparently the first job is to download his work for the day. Mark.

Reply to
mark

shock

carpark

I have a slow one that I use as the DNC interface to my Bridgeport Interact 1 running Win2K. As I turn on both at the same time, by the time the Bridgy has gone through its start up sequence and travelled the home switches the Toughbook is just ready to log on. No real problem as it couldn't work till then anyway, and so far it has survived all the swarf and coolant that gets splashed on it, not to mention being poked by a wet finger covered in curly bits of aluminium ! Only problem I've had is that the PCMCIA slots don't provide quite enough power supply current to the slots so not all wireless lan cards will work ok, but I now know which do and stick to them.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

BT ones are slow, not due to them having a slow processor, but because they run that much security (harddisk is encrypted, so every read/write has to be decrypted/encrypted). And there's no way around it, as it's even part of the BIOS. If you don't know the username and password, then the computer is useless. But the engineers toughbooks are due for replacement, and by the looks of things they're going to be getting PDAs, and all the old toughbooks will most likely be binned.

I've been introduced to the delights of using a bt toughbook this year for vehicle diagnostic software, and I can quite comfortably turn it on, enter the safeboot password, go make myself a cup of tea, and be back in time to enter the windows password.

Reply to
M Cuthill