new liners for jp3

I've got my sticky hands on a Lister jp3 marine, which needs new liner and piston sets, =A3250 each !!!! So i,m thinking is there any way to either bore out and line the liners, which are a 10th of an inch thick, or get hold of suitable metal to turn and bore new ones myself, they're forged close grained cast iron i beleive. =A3750 is alot of beer !

The pistons only have wear patches at the top land, and could be salvaged by TIG welding and re machining.

Reply to
Motor

You'd probably spend a fair bit of that modifying something else to do the job anyway.

What is wrong with the old liners?

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

The old liners are worn right out peter.

Reply to
Motor

The pistons only have wear patches at the top land, and could be salvaged by TIG welding and re machining.

Avoid anything or anybody who brands thier parts "marine". The canal is full of rip off artists. I can give you one example of a so called dealer who was charging four hundred quid for a Kelvin cylinder head. We got them from India for twenty five quid each!!! Would parts for an Indian built CS engine fit your JP, I wonder?

Regards,

Martin.

Reply to
Martin Brooksz

The JP has a removable liner, while the CS is a chromed native bore in the block.

There is some commonality between the CD/CE liner and the JP part.

You can convert one to the other, but I cannot remember which way, I think CD/CE to JP but not the other way.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

I very much doubt that you will find a better way, & at that price they haven't gone up an awful lot in the last few years. Chances are that those are made somewhere East, supplies of the genuine article were drying up several years ago.

Top ring groove wear is the thing to watch for on the pistons. There are engines with dry-lined wet liners (Gardner L3 for one), but I shouldn't think the JP liner has enough meat in it for that to work.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech