suitable sticky flammable fluids?

what did they use in the army to fuel flamethrowers ?

Pretty sure they used just compressed air and regular gasoline. For something sticky use napalm. Nothing more than gasoline and Styrofoam mixed together.
Have fun with it. Let me know when the "film at 11" is.
Chris
Hope he's not pissed at any of us... ---------------------------- Mr. P.V.'d formerly Droll Troll

no I like trolls
;<}
if I shoot video , doesn't that automatically guarantee failure and or a Darwin award

May I add, also, that napalm is a much safer substance, compared to regular gasoline. It does not flow well and burns mildly. The only trouble with it is that it is sticky and sticks to skin. As part of military training, I had napalm burn on me (I had a trenchcoat on). I was supposed to roll over and extinguish it. It was very much not a big deal. It does not burn violently.
If napalm was, instead of being spread like butter on my trenchcoat, pulverized and spread through an explosion, it would have been a very different story.
Have fun with it, although I cannot see many useful peaceful uses for napalm.

Fooey! Napalm is not and never has been gasoline and styrofoam! That crap comes from "The Anarchist's Cookbook" and other such stupid pre-pubescent fire-play booklets.
Napalm originally got its name from Na(ptha) and (sodium)Palm(itate). In other words, naptha thickened with palm-oil soap. Gasoline and soap work equally well, but the vapor pressure of gasoline is too great to be safe or long-lived in storage.
Note, I said SOAP, not detergent. An early "terrorists" version of napalm was gasoline thickened with Ivory Flakes laundry soap.
LLoyd

Aluminum soap, as I recall. In other words, soap *scum*! <g>
Interestingly, these are the same additives used to thicken greases. Lithium grease contains a lithium soap.
Tim
-- Deep Fryer: a very philosophical monk. Website: http://webpages.charter.net/dawill/tmoranwms

Yeah, but see my retraction, too. It was gasoline -- with napthenic and palmitic aluminum soaps. And, to my chagrin, there are also modern variants with styrene as the thickener.
LLoyd
williamhenry wrote:

I heard that dissolving expanded polystyrene in petrol (gasoline) creates a pretty exciting mixture, but I imagine it's a bit too viscous for a flamethrower. Why not use ordinary petrol? You want something which sticks to the target better?
Chris

Pretty sure the US Army did not use petrol. They used gasoline in their flame throwers.
:)
Chris All in good fun.
Chris wrote:

Yes. Petrol = English Gasoline :-D.
Chris
Christopher Tidy wrote:

You're both wrong. They used benzine (:

Darn
So what's Sterno made from ? ---------------------------- Mr. P.V.'d formerly Droll Troll

Alcohol.
On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 23:03:29 -0400, "Proctologically Violated"

It's alcohol in an acetate gel. Used to make it in high school chemistry class. Wino's used to get high on it - the origin of the term "squeeze" Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Christopher Tidy wrote:

Is that the stuff in the lorries with the "Warning!Fairly Flammable!" placards on them? :-)
Cheers Trevor Jones
trevor jones wrote:

I've never seen that. The thing I like is those peanut bags which say "Warning: May contain nuts" at the bottom.
Chris

Yeah. Real scary, eh? A bag of nuts that *may* contain nuts. Will miracles never cease? :-)
Harold