Replaced belt on lathe but keeps coming off

Hi gents,

The subject says it all....leather belt, used the alligator belt lacing, but the belt comes off often when I first engage the power. Once it gets going, most of the time, it stays put, just about 25% of the time on initial power up the belt falls off. Is this because it is a bit hard (kind of like a baseball mitt when you first start using it.....

Just wondering if there is a trick to break'n these belts in.

Thanks to all

John

Reply to
CAMCOMPCO

It's more likely the result of misaligned sheaves, or some sort of defect in the belt (a twist or something).

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Are the ends of the belt square to each other at the join ? If one is cocked it will get tossed . Personally I would opt for " Clipper " brand lacing . Luck Ken Cutt

Reply to
Ken Cutt

Are you putting the belt on with a 1/2 twist. All the flat belt machinery I have run always used a half turn to keep them in place. I am not sure why,however.

Paul

Reply to
pdrahn

Sometimes a little belt dressing will help it stay on track.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Not sure about the 1/2 twist thing, belt dressing might do the trick but seems to be just a temp fix....I'll bet I assumed "close enough for government work" was close enough, maybe I should re-check the alignment when I get to the shop next. I was just wonder'n if I missed some sort of "that always happens" kind of thing......

Thanks guys

John

Reply to
CAMCOMPCO

Reply to
Don Young

Quick update, It turned out to be that I had a slight misalignment from end to end. I undid the glamp, aligned the two ends better, and presto....the belts were only off by a tiny bit, but, it seemed that this tiny bit was more than enough to cause the trouble.

thanks to all for the help...once again :-)

John

Reply to
CAMCOMPCO