New Leather Laminate Belt Arrived

So last weekend I tried to repair the nylon/leather laminate belt on my SB Heavy 10" using some clipper lacing I had laying around. This time, rather than having the lacing simply pull out of the belt, the belt itself ripped along the line where the clipper staples were pressed in.

So I ordered a new belt and Alligator lacing

McMaster-Carr
The belt is their high- end leather/nylon/leather laminate material, 6' long by 1" wide. This stuff is quite a bit thicker and stiffer than the old belt, though it is claimed to work on pulleys of 3.3" or larger.

The length of material is longer than I need so I'll have to cut it, and applying the lacing will "damage" the material anyway, so if the belt is too thick/stiff for use on my lathe (1 1/2 hp motor) I'll have to eat the $37 I paid for it and buy another thinner/more flexible plain leather belt.

Has anyone else used this material on machines with comparably sized pulleys as found on a Heavy 10? Looks good and strong, though.

Reply to
Artemia Salina

I replaced my 10L machine's belt with some double ply leather from mcmaster carr, and I probably should have gone with the single ply. I think the stuff I had was about 7/32 or so thick and I actually had to remove the lube chart under the headstock cover because it was rubbing on the chart.

Next time I will go with single ply!

Jim

jim rozen

Reply to
NokNokMan

You don't say what belt thickness you got, but some of your S/B cone pulleys are smaller that 3.3". Try getting the all synthetic material. No advantage to leather other than nostalgia. Also, S/B 10L's can take a little wider belt. I use 1 3/16" . The 1" belting is for 9" machines.

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Interestingly the texalon belt that SB supplied for their

9" machines was about 7/8 or so wide.

Jim

jim rozen

The material is 0.16", just a hair over 5/32".

I don't know of an online supplier. Got a source?

I thought about that but the next size up for any of McMaster's flat belts is 1 1/4" and I didn't want to push my luck. The pulleys could probably handle 1 1/4" belts, but I hadn't seen the Alligator lacing at that point and wasn't sure if it'd rub on the adjacent pulley's shoulder. The pulley crowns centered the belt that was on the lathe when I bought it but the hinge pin protruded a bit more than the belt's 1" width. Not knowing what the new lacing would be like I didn't want to chance going wider.

Now I see that the lacing, when installed, is somewhat less than the width of the belt, and the belt ends are camfered at the corners. Plenty of clearance, even for 1 1/4" width.

Reply to
Artemia Salina

.160 should work ok, why don't you give it a try.

You can get any belting you need at Empire State Belting & Hose 14-30 Astoria Blvd, Long Island City, NY 11102 718-274-7878

Reply to
Tony

Well 1" is the widest that works on a 9" S/B. I usually put on the widest that fits without rubbing.

Reply to
Tony