Tool mount in concrete

I just recently found this list and it's great! I'm building a welding shop and want to use a variety of tools (benders, brakes, anvils, vice, etc) from the center of the work floor. My question...how do you experts use one mount, bolted to the floor, that is flush so you won't trip over it when nothing is plugged into it, yet it allows you to mount different tools, machines, etc. to it when necessary?

I'm contemplating a 12" x 12" square plate bolted to the floor, with a short 4" square nipple welded onto the underside with matching hole in the plate. I can then use a piece of smaller square that will sleeve into the 4", and "plug" my tools into this mounting plate, then remove them when I'm done. Any better ideas? Thanks

Reply to
Ronnie Lyons, Meridian, Idaho

--Yeah; if it's a space problem just put everything on casters. Get the kind that retract, letting the frame set on the floor when not in motion.

Reply to
steamer

Steamer:

I have seen machines that come with custom designed retractable rollers but I have never been able to find them for sale seperately. If you or anyone else knows of a company in Canada/USA that sells them I would appreciate a name or web address.

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Jimbo

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Ronnie Lyons, Meridian, Idaho) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

A piece of pipe with an anchor plate welded to it poured into the floor, with 2 or 4 30° included angle V notches cut in the top of the pipe. The post for each tool would slip-fit into this pipe, and V's welded on the outside of the post would hold it in either 90°(4 notches) or 180°(2 notches) orientations. The support (anchor) plate under the concrete would provide moment support better than just a post. This keeps it even with the top of the floor when no tools are mounted.

Reply to
Anthony

Anthony:

I'm having trouble picturing what you mean, probably my fault not yours, I'm a little numb from this bloody cold weather. Any chance you have some photo's or drawings?

Reply to
Jimbo

"Jimbo" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@golden.net:

Sure...I drew up a sketch of the floor receptical. This would, of course, be set and poured in place in the floor. The base helps distribute any moment loads (leaning against it while BS'n in the shop with buddies....hehe) The post for the machinery will have a reverse image of the receptical. You can use notches instead of V slots..as long as they fit snug you should be ok.

Anthony